Basswood Bowl

Well got a piece of basswood from Dick Strauss. Got around to turning it yesterday. It has a lot of spalt in it. Was kinda punky and difficult to turn. I busted the tenon off 3 times and decided to use a faceplate which meant screw holes. So I saved the sanding dust mixed with epoxy to fill them. The Hunter tool worked pretty good on it and also spent some time sanding. I think it turned out pretty good especially with the spalt. So anyway with a little patience made it work. It has 1 coat of antique oil on it. It is 10" X 4".

Attachments

• Basswood Bowl 2.jpg
    Basswood Bowl 2.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Basswood Bowl 4.jpg
    Basswood Bowl 4.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 19
  • Basswood Bowl 5.jpg
    Basswood Bowl 5.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 29
Bernie, very nice bowl, I can see the filled screwholes, were you able to sand off the turning marks, as I can see that this is pretty hard stuff to turn.
Had last the same with a piece of Prunus, oh boy, not to sand.
Keep em coming Bernie.

Ad :thumb: :wave:

Bernie, I read an interview with David Ellsworth that stated everyone's pieces used to have screw holes...well many of mine still do.

Well Done! Never knew basswood could look that good. :thumb:

Thanks all. Yes this was probably the hardest piece I had to turn. A couple of places I used epoxy mixed with DNA to the consistancy of milk painted on the soft spots till it wouldn't take anymore. The LOML says it will make a nice fruit bowl. I really like the spalting and color of it. I will post another picture when I get the final finish on it.