Oh Delta, Where for Art Thou? CS Issues

glenn bradley

Some of you may have seen my thread on a stuck drill chuck. I decided for a few bucks I would just pick up another taper adapter for the other chuck I want to mount. My error was in going to Delta for the part.

After much discussion with someone who has probably never seen a drill press I finally sent them the URL of their own parts diagram. Ahh, part identified, part numbers match, order placed.

It just arrived. A completely different part number. A completely different item. A studded knob for the safety shield on a bench grinder about the size of an acorn. Hmmm, doesn't seem quite right.

The item is bagged and numbered (nothing even close to my number). The number on the bag matches the item in a parts blow-up for a grinder. The invoice is for the part number I wanted and is even checked off by a human hand. I wonder what the guy who ordered the knob is gonna do with that taper adapter?

You know, . . . they shouldn't smoke that stuff if its gonna effect them that way.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your problems, Glenn. I have bought quite a few tools from Delta over the last year and a half and have had a few issues with tools themselves but Delta's CS has been extremely helpful and have gotten the correct parts to me in a very timely fashion. I have a feeling you may have just gotten a new agent or just a disgruntled employee. It happens in all companies.

You weren't dealing with the knotheads in Minnesota were you? They were the ones to get me to swear off Delta. I tried to order a replacement motor from them. 6 weeks after the order it was still on backorder and had gone up $60. B&D doesn't only mean Black and Decker. As soon as the dust collector croaks my shop will be Delta free.

I have 3 (yes 3) spare fences for my Delta 6" jointer should anyone want to pay the freight - thanks to the knowledgeable and super efficient staff at Delta CS.:(:rofl:

You know, I feared something like that when I ordered some parts for an old lathe I had from the Harbor Freight parts department. The lathe was one marketed with several different colors of paint and labels before Jet and others made that the "popular" way to manufacture and sell stuff and it just happened that HF had one version with their name on it. Anyway, the parts had to come by boat from China and took forever and I was afraid that the wait would be the same if they sent the wrong stuff. They got it all right and things were good in the end.

My Biesemeyer fence had the wrong parts in the right bag. My only remaining Delta is 50 years old (but with a new fence) and I think I still have 3 Porter Cable tools. Their quality has seriously slipped since I bought my old table saw in 2000.