A Toothpick Holder Video

Stuart Ablett

At the last FEWS meeting we had, a buddy of mine, Sugita San, came by to watch, he brought his video camera with him and took some video.

He is a graphic designer by trade, so I would expect his videos to better than mine, but man are they EVER better than mine :eek:

I put it up >> HERE << you can go take a look see :wave:

He had never seen anyone turn before, and he knows next to nothing about turning, so in his video, he offers no commentary, or such, and he may have edited out some critical parts, but you still get to see me turn, in all my glory :rolleyes: on of the toothpick holders :thumb:

Cheers!

That is great Stu!
You buddy did a great job on the video also.
Is that a special kind of marker you used on the finial? How did your audience like the demo? Very Cool!

Thanks Pete.

Everything went well, each and every "Jam Chuck" I did on that piece I got on the first go round, perfect :eek:

We all had a great time, spent the day, from 8:30 AM until about 4:30 PM :thumb:

One of the other guys demoed how to make the closed end pens, very neat. Then we just turned a lot of stuff, I gave a demo of the Ci1 tool as well, all were impressed with that too. I got out some larger chunks of wood that had cracks or bad knots in it, stuff that would not be really worth turning, and we just practiced, some of the members, are still at a beginner's level, even though they have owned a lathe for years. It was a blast. :thumb:

Thanks Gordon!

Pete, sorry, I did not answer you question about the marker, it is a "Paint Marker" works well, but not nearly as well as the Japanese calligraphy pen I usually use. That pen uses water and ground up charcoal, so it is blacker than night:thumb: but, it takes a LONG time to dry.

Most of the guys at the meeting thought the finals were some kind of exotic hardwood, and were surprised to hear they were just Maple :D

Very nice video Stu. Thanks for sharing.
Looks so easy, and it is. Only it would take me more time, to do it on my lathe. Faceplate you know, but even with using a faceplate, and some attachments, you can do it.
Would be very handy having a chuck, think I have to work on that.
Heard a nice music and some conversation I could not understand, but it was a big fun watching this video.
Ad :thumb:

Yes Ad, a chuck or three are really nice to have :thumb:

Barry, that marker is kind of a paint parker, the "ink" is thicker than a Sharpie, and much more like paint.

Cheers!

Great video Stu!.

I like the way you dye the tip or should I say finial? Someone I know used black shoe cream to obtain the same effect, and the wax included in the cream protects the wood as well, and gives it shine.

Stu, I always enjoy your videos although I guess I haven't said that before. They are always informative and interesting.

I do have one question what were you wearing on your finger when you were sanding the inside of the toothpick holder body? It resembled a finger cot to which you had attached some velcro. Hard to see in the video but it looked like a good idea.

Thanks Mike

That is an idea I got from someone, here I think, it might have been Vaughn, or Bernie :eek: sorry I forget who showed me that one.

It is a rubber finger thing, to keep your finger from being cut by paper and to easily count or shuffle papers, they use them here for accounting and such.

Just a drop of medium CA glue and the paper is bonded to the rubber finger thing. When the paper is used up, just rip it off and put a new one on. I've been able to do this a good half dozen times, before the rubber thing was worn out.

Cheers!

Don't know which to compliment first. The videography or the turning demo.
I'll go with the video guy. He is very good and knows how to tell a story.
Your turning was very interesting. Yes, I noted you got the fittings right each time. This must be a post-220V turning. Your Nova really hogged off the wood effortlessly.

Great demo, Stu and the videography was excellent. I really enjoyed it.

What also struck me was how turners are the same the world over. Just watching those guys watching you turn, it could just as well have been here in East Texas. This hobby truly spans continents and cultures, doesn't it?