A Pig Tail Flipper

Stuart Ablett

I got two of these kits from Craft Supplies, Greg brought them over from the states when he came to visit, but then I got put in the hospital for the leg infection, so I've not had a chance to get these done.

I got this wood from my deer hunting buddy, the same guy, and his family are going to Canada with us in a few weeks here. The original thread I posted is >> HERE << about the wood.

pig_tail_flipper01.jpg
I started out with a copper straight coupling, I cut it in half and then undercut the on edge, to seat into the handle better, when I pound it on.

pig_tail_flipper02.jpg
I then mounted the piece, it is about 4cm square (1 1/2") and is about 10" long.

pig_tail_flipper03.jpg
I got the basic shape roughed out

pig_tail_flipper04.jpg
I then went to work making the tenon to mount the copper ferrel on

pig_tail_flipper05.jpg
After a few tries, I got it to fit snug!

pig_tail_flipper06.jpg
I finished shaping the handle

pig_tail_flipper07.jpg
I sanded through to #1200, then put several coats of sanding sealer on it.

pig_tail_flipper08.jpg
I will put 8 to 10 coats of rattle can lacquer on it too.

pig_tail_flipper09.jpg
This is the business end, supposed to be really good for flipping things like steaks etc.

This wood, rosewood, is a bit chippy, and sure is open grained, but in the end it worked out well, and the handle is sure nice looking. While turning this wood, boy is the smell every spicy.

I'll be giving this to another buddy this weekend, we are going to his house (on base) for a day of fun and to light up the BBQ and give this thing a test drive.

Cheers!

I'll be darn....pig tails used for woodworking....

My pigs got a tail, but it don't flip, it curls......pig makes for good pork steaks too.:rofl:

P1010256-2.jpg

Sorry Stu, I just couldn't resist :rofl:

I hear a July 4th party in the making! :headbang: :thumb:

Nice piece, Stu. So chippy and open grained? Rosewood seems to be held on such a pedestal by a lot of people. I've never worked with it; I have a carved elephant that an Indian friend gave me. Man is it ever heavy. I imagine it would sink if immersed in water. It appears to be pretty closed grain, but it could be filler, or a different species. Whatever mine is, if yours is anything similar, it'll make a GREAT long-term handle-heavy and durable!

Looking Good Stu ... I made one for my son for fathers day and he uses it all the time (he loves to cook outdoors). Got a couple more but have not had time to make the handles yet.

Looks good, Stu. I've got a couple...one is relatively lightweight, with a wooden handle. (Bought it years before I had a lathe.) The other one is very stout and thick, with a hexagonal aluminum handle. The aluminum-handled one is my go-to flipper.

We are heading out to visit my buddy and his family tomorrow, we plan some grilling, chilling and even a few adult beverages :D :thumb:

I got a box made up to hold the Pig Tail Flipper.........

pig_tail_flipper10.jpg pig_tail_flipper11.jpg

Nothing special, just a plywood box, but it should keep the PTF in good condition longer.

Cheers!

Nice job Stu. First time I've ever seen one also. I'd like to see a video (hint-hint) on the "Proper use of a Pig Tail flipper".

Did you buy or make the formed metal part? Got any links to a source? Thanks.

Aloha, Tony

Great job Stu.

We don't use those here though!. In fact this one is the first I've ever seen.
We use a sort of long tweezers.

The tong or "tweezer" things are pretty standard here also. I believe the pig tail idea is something new.

Harbor Frieght also sells them. They are complete with plain handles that could be knocked off and something nicely turned could be put back on. They cost less than the CS kits.