Re Choice of Jointers

Rob Keeble

Hi All

I have in mind to purchase an 8"jointer. I decided it is going to be a Grizzly and have two choices but need help finalizing my decision.

What are merits of the differences between these two machines.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-x-72-Jointer-with-Mobile-Base/G0656

and the
http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-Jointer-with-Parallelogram-Beds/G0490

There is only $100 difference in the price one has parallelogram bed but both are 3hp motors and both have 4 cutter heads.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I intend making a road trip from Canada to the Grizzly store in PA since up in Canada we cannot order Grizzly and the only other choices are a rip off.

Thanks

Rob

Part of Grizzly marketing genius is that they price models so close together. Sometimes the difference is only $20.00. Very tempting to step up a notch. Personally, if yer budget is OK with it, I would pop for the extra hundred.

The p-beds on my G0490X have already earned a place in my heart. I may not have to adjust them again for years but it took hardly any time at all.

P.s. As long as you're making the trip, I would recommend the spiral cutter head if the budget will stand it; they're a joy to use.

The benefit of the parallelogram beds is that they don't suffer from a problem of the old fashioned non-parallelogram style which use dovetail ways on which the bed mechanisms slide in order to move the beds up and down. Very little wear of these bearing surfaces allows the beds to tip a little in one direction or the other requireing that shims be added to make up for the wear. Linkage suspending the beds in the parallelogram types can be adjusted independent of each other to adjust for wear and tear.

I agree with what Jerry said totally.

If it were my money I would buy the wedge bed though. My take is how much wear will dovetail ways see? It's not like we adjust jointer's constantly like other machines. Assuming they are using decent quality cast iron, wear shouldn't be an issue. With just a normal care if should never get out of square. And even it it did, it's simple to shim. Nothing against the other one, I would just rather have the $100 in my pocket. But I am typically in the minority there.

I agree with what Jerry said totally.

If it were my money I would buy the wedge bed though. My take is how much wear will dovetail ways see? It's not like we adjust jointer's constantly like other machines. Assuming they are using decent quality cast iron, wear shouldn't be an issue. With just a normal care if should never get out of square. And even it it did, it's simple to shim. Nothing against the other one, I would just rather have the $100 in my pocket. But I am typically in the minority there.

I agree with Jeff. Wear isn't an issue.

The only time I ever move the beds on my jointer is during/after knife changes. Otherwise, I generally keep it set for a 1/32" cut. I've moved it from 1/32" down to 1/16" once in a while, but not often, and I just can't see that minimal movement of the bed causing much wear on the ways.

..... I generally keep it set for a 1/32" cut. I've moved it from 1/32" down to 1/16" once in a while, but not often, ....

Thats it exactly. On my 6" jointer I rare move it off 1/32". My 12" I do move it more often. Since I can flatten wide boards I will drop it down to take off a bigger bite when starting with rough sawn lumber. But even so that movement is minimal. Once every couple of months?

Re Feedback

Thank you all who replied. I really appreciate the feedback. I quiet frankly could not work out what the difference was now I know. I also apologize for posting another thread here about the same jointer. I have since found another post with loads of info about these machines.
I guess I will settle on saving the 100$. I dont believe I will wear this machine out in my lifetime and can then spend the money I save on some other "essentials".:D

Update on jointer purchase

I thought since so many gave very valid advice on the subject I would let you all know which jointer I settled on.

I went on a father son road trip to Washington this summer with my 14 year old son. He wanted to see the Smithsonian and I was only to ready to oblige also to get the time to be together without anyone else. On the trip down we took my little utility trailer and stopped at the Grizzly store in Muncy P.A.

Boy I was like a kid in the candy store and in the end I purchased the Go656. See picture below. I also stocked up on a bunch ofther things while I was there given the prices of these things in the USA compared to Canada and that is with an approximately even dollar. You guys and gals in the USA are luckly. Saved on the transportation but had to pay the state taxes even though I was from out of country.

Attachments

• g0656 jointer.jpg
    g0656 jointer.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Venter Trailer.jpg
    Venter Trailer.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Congratulations, Rob. It's hard to argue with prices like that. Hope you never need warranty though. That sure is a small utility trailer. Did it fit? ;) I would have stopped on the way home, though. Now you had to drag all that weight around for the whole trip.

Thanks Art, actually thats exactly what we did. Stopped on the way down and bought a week later on the way home.

The trailer worked out very well. The Jointer comes in two packages. One the cabinet which I got inside the trailer and the other in a long crate that fitted like a coffin on the top of the frame that i fitted to the trailer. Still had place for a air cleaner, anvil (always wanted one of those) some roll up power cords and roll up air hose reels. Not too worried about the jointer and warranty. At the price I paid and getting across the border with no taxes due to having been out a week, I am still way ahead of what I would have paid for the equivalent here in Canada. The quality of the local brands (King and Busy Bee) aint as great and cost way( hundreds before taxes) more for the same thing. When I look at how well this machine went together I am surprized guys still buy Delta at their runaway prices. This will see me to my grave.

Congratulations, Rob. It's hard to argue with prices like that. Hope you never need warranty though. That sure is a small utility trailer. Did it fit? ;) I would have stopped on the way home, though. Now you had to drag all that weight around for the whole trip.

I thought since so many gave very valid advice on the subject I would let you all know which jointer I settled on.

I went on a father son road trip to Washington this summer with my 14 year old son. He wanted to see the Smithsonian and I was only to ready to oblige also to get the time to be together without anyone else. On the trip down we took my little utility trailer and stopped at the Grizzly store in Muncy P.A.

Boy I was like a kid in the candy store and in the end I purchased the Go656. See picture below. I also stocked up on a bunch ofther things while I was there given the prices of these things in the USA compared to Canada and that is with an approximately even dollar. You guys and gals in the USA are luckly. Saved on the transportation but had to pay the state taxes even though I was from out of country.

I couldn't believe it when I saw the pictures with the trailer - It's a Venter! Build in SA, and legendary here. Every second family had one a couple of years ago!

Uys you are absolutely right. Venter it is.

Hi Uys

You are right about that. I am an ex South African now living in Canada. When I packed up to leave I brought it with me in the huge container I had. I even brought my steel workbench. When one leaves a country it is important that the things which make your home a home are brought with as well. Pitty about my tools though. I sold them all thinking there was no 220v power in these parts of the world. How wrong I was. I guess this is not the only Venter in these parts of the world.:)

I couldn't believe it when I saw the pictures with the trailer - It's a Venter! Build in SA, and legendary here. Every second family had one a couple of years ago!

Last edited:
Bartee great pictures you have there. I got so excited with mine that I forgot to get pictures along the way. Did the same as you with LOML helping me to flip it over and onto the cabinet. I am amazed at her mussles. Was really worried she was going to do herself an injury. Thank goodness all went well. I just cannot believe the quality for the price. Amazes me how Grizzly does it. Makes you wonder what the original manufacturer is getting for the whole thing when you consider how far it has to come and the internal shipping and storage and there must be some small duty to get the product into the USA.:huh:

Get a spiral head, you will never regret it.

I have the G0593 and love it. It's 2hp and would benefit with some more HP, but it has taken everything I have pushed thru it and came out perfectly smooth.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bartee/200709JointerGrizzlyG0593#

P.s. The mag switch on the 490 is a nice touch as well. On the contrary the handwheels are a nice touch on the 656 . . . *** sigh *** I guess you'll just have to toss a coin ;-)