I just can't figure Amazon out...

Jim O'Dell

I ordered a new shaver on Sunday. I've needed one for a while now, and it was marked down. Monday, it shows the shipping date estimate of 7/7/08. Well, not as quick as I want, but I can make due. Tues and Wed, says the same thing, only Wed is also says estimated arrival time is between 7/14 and 7/19. Ok, again I can live with that. Got home and saw a couple boxes on the porch. Hmmm says I to myself. Get inside, go to the front door, and sure enough, one of them is from Amazon. Open it and, yep, it's my shaver.:thumb: Go on line, and Amazon says it was shipped 7/3.....that's today! I just looked, and it came out of the Irving warehouse, but to get through USPS sorting and to me the same day?? No way!!! But I'm not griping, mind you, just confused. Jim.

I've seen similar delivery estimates from Amazon, and like you, I wonder where they get the dates.

Your one-day shipping is pretty impressive, though. I once got a DVD recorder online from Wal Mart...ordered it one afternoon, and it was waiting for me at the office the next morning when I arrived. It was shipped from Bentonville Arkansas to Burbank California. I still haven't figured out how they pulled that one off. A co-worker also ordered the same item at the same time, and hers was also waiting at the office the next morning.

My experience with Amazon has always been good. Their web site went through a change a few months ago that created some frustrations but that seems to be all worked out now. I'm impressed with their aggressive marketing by giving free shipping if you order quickly. Only downside is that they use UPS. I haven't had a good experience with them in over 20 years. We just got a GPS from Amazon. Came in a huge box filled with those air pack protectors. Good thing. The box was smashed and half torn open. Typical, in my experience, with UPS.

My experience with Amazon has always been good. ...Only downside is that they use UPS. I haven't had a good experience with them in over 20 years. We just got a GPS from Amazon. Came in a huge box filled with those air pack protectors. Good thing. The box was smashed and half torn open. Typical, in my experience, with UPS.

Interesting. My experience is just the opposite. I don't recall ever getting a damaged package from UPS - or having them lose one.

On the other hand, I don't think I've ever gotten an on-time, undamaged package from DHL

Fedex has been fairly good, but on one occasion, did leave a package (containing an electronic weather station) out in the rain instead of walking an extra ten steps and leaving it on the porch.

USPS has lost packages, and has delivered a couple in plastic bags marked "damaged in transit."

I have seen UPS get a package on with the next day air, when it was sent ground. I think if they have extra room on the plane, they use it with packages rather than fly empty cargo space. It would make sense. Then coming to a commercial address might have gotten it mixed in with the early delivery as well.
But this one appears (note I say appears. I'm not convinced it shipped the day they said it did.) to arrive the same day it was shipped, on USPS no less!! Normally a letter from Irving to here would take 3 days. Carrier picks up letter, goes to home based Post Office, goes to Dallas sorting center, next day sometime goes to Fort Worth sorting center, maybe to the local Post Office latter that day. Sorted by carrier the next morning and delivered.
I've always had good delivery times, even the free shipping, which this was, and get it in about a week, give or take a day. I figured this one would be here next Tuesday since we have the holiday today. But I've always been able to see the day it was shipped by Amazon, and be able to gauge the delivery from there.
Have a great weekend all!