My Arborist Buddy Called......

Stuart Ablett

........ he says he has a nice chunk of Sakura on his truck....... do I want it.... :D

About 4' long by 14" thick at the widest point, knarly, full of bugs, has some dirt INSIDE it and such, the tree has been standing dead for about 3 years, but there was little rot on the trunk, the part I got.

sakura_haul01.jpg sakura_haul02.jpg
Even know this tree was DEAD for 3 years, this chunk of wood, two of the arborists could barely lift it and put it in my truck. When I got home I used gravity and hoists to move it around:rolleyes: It was HOT today, one of the first really hot and humid days, the arborists all looked rather tired and worn out, but they perked right up when I gave them a couple of cold six packs of beer, smiles all around :thumb:

sakura_haul03.jpg sakura_haul04.jpg
Boy, we have seen this sight before :rolleyes: Big chunk of wood on the Dungeon worktable :)

sakura_haul05.jpg sakura_haul06.jpg
This is the top area of the log, the part that split into three branches, I did not know what to do with it exactly, so I made a big round chunk out of it, I'll try to make a big hollow form from it :D

sakura_haul07.jpg
The table full of chunks that need more porcessing, some cutting, and some sealing, then they will be added to the growing pile of "to be turned" stock :doh:

I think that the Ci1 Easy Rougher is going to come in handy!

Oh yeah, the guy told me that they have a really nice tree for me on Monday (when it rains.......) they told me it was "Gekkeijyu"......... :huh: :dunno: no idea, but they said it was an "Italian" tree :dunno::dunno::dunno::huh:

I asked one of my daughters, she said, "You know, like in the Olympics......" :huh: "Laurel".....:D :thumb: I wonder how that will turn?

They said the trunk was about 14" in diameter....

Anyone turn Laurel?

Cheers!

Congrats on the wood score! Should make for one really nice hollow form! Sounds like you have quite the method of keeping your arborist friends happy - and coming back! LOL Looking forward to seeing the hollow form!

Nice wood,Stu..as always, will be watching for the outcome with resignation (think I'm gunna start origami and let the turning to the turners)
Noticed in another thread that yer comin' home for a visit. Boy, wish I was on the west coast, would have really enjoyed meeting you, though through here and the dungeon vids I feel that we are only missing the cold beer and a private tutorial. Bon voyage, and safe travels

Nice wood score, Stu. Owning a LS and having an arrangment with those arborists is almost like cheating!

Don't know anything about Laurel but any 14" diameter log is great. It will be interesting to see what you find out about turning it.

Now, refresh my memory. Sakura in English is???

Boy! Now you've got plenty of material to make all your Xmas presents, so no excuses this year!

Indian Laurel, I do not know if yours is that one, is a beatiful wood although I've read somewhere that its dust is highly allergenic, it makes your eyes cry and the dust seems to hang in the atmosphere for quite a long time, making you sneeze at the best.

I think I've read it in on Krenov's books ( I'll look it down):dunno:

We use laurel leaves here to condiment many meals, the tradition is to bring a bunch of laurel branches on palm sunday to be blessed by the priest and then use the leaves the rest of the year to give flavour to your meals and hence making them blessed as well.:)

Stu,
I've been to your site.... when have you passed up free wood?:rolleyes: Even if it was laying in the street....?

Ted

Ted, you know me well :D

So, the second half of this story........

I get a call today, Tuesday, they have cut down two trees, the Laurel and one other, they have the two trunks out and waiting for me, only a few minutes from my house :thumb:

2nd_july_haul01.jpg
The two trunks, they are not huge, but they should yield some nice blanks, the Laurel on the left and the other one, "Akamegashiwa" which I cannot really find an "English" name for :huh: The "Latin" name is "Mallotus Japonicus" :dunno:

Seems to be related to Oak, a distant relation... :)

2nd_july_haul02.jpg 2nd_july_haul03.jpg 2nd_july_haul04.jpg
The grain is really nice, I just hope this stuff is not too soft, it was not easy to cut, but the arborist seemed to think it was a "Soft" wood.

2nd_july_haul05.jpg
making Big Blue earn his keep :D

2nd_july_haul06.jpg
First coat of sealer on the bunch of blanks:)

Cheers