Little spalted bowl

Ron Journeau

I don't get much of a chance to turn except vacation time, which is now, and I post even less, so trying to make up for both. This little guy is the outcome of my efforts at the lathe this week, boy am I out of what little practice I had, and we won't even go to the photography subject, thats another part of turning that has been neglected here in the shop. Dimensions are 5" diameter by 2" high, rim is out of kilter (was very close to pith) but had fun anyway. Finished with BLO and buffed, coat of ren wax and hand rubbed. Am requesting critiques and comments, and above all suggestions. Thanks for looking.:wave:

Attachments

• spaltedemaplebowl5 (600 x 305).jpg
    spaltedemaplebowl5 (600 x 305).jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 12
  • spaltedmaplebowl1(600 x 395).jpg
    spaltedmaplebowl1(600 x 395).jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 14
  • spaltedmaplebowl2 (600 x 348).jpg
    spaltedmaplebowl2 (600 x 348).jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 10
  • spaltedmaplebowl3 (600 x 486).jpg
    spaltedmaplebowl3 (600 x 486).jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 14
  • spaltedmaplebowl4 (600 x 410).jpg
    spaltedmaplebowl4 (600 x 410).jpg
    51 KB · Views: 12
Doesn't look like you're that much out of practice. Nice little bowl. :thumb: What kind of wood is it? It looks like some of the spalted alder I've got.

Vaughn, it is a small piece of spalted maple from the MIL's back yard that was cut by the arborist when she finally sold off the home and moved into an apartment. She has some work by me done from another tree cut down at the same time, and I have stopped giving her work made from her old homestead wood, as it was hard on her...so many memories. She is 86 y/o, washes the bathroom floor at 4:eek:o a.m. every day, and passes her day singing with her african grey parrot. I guess we could all do worse...thanks for looking..