I have a finishing question

Chuck Ellis

Hi all,
Lately I've been turning lots of little hidden cork wine bottle stoppers... one of the designs is in the shape of a miniature wine glass... got me to thinking, I would like to turn some full size wine glasses..
question: is there a finish I could put on the glasses that would make them actually usable?

I have a plexi solution that I made up a while back to try to use on pens.. do you think that might work on the inside of the glasses so you could actually use them?

Also, any specific woods that I should avoid... I know from past experience to avoid Paduak like a plague.... I break out and itch for weeks after doing that stuff.

These are samples of my wine stoppers.

Attachments

• 37-495.JPG
    37-495.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 37-499.JPG
    37-499.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 37-492.JPG
    37-492.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 16
This question comes up a lot with food/drink items. My response is always to not finish at all. There may be something resistant to wine, I dunno :dunno: fer certain. But, nekkid wood works just fine. Most allergy problems come from dust while working. A solid hunk of wood seldom causes folks problems. Reason I say no finish is from my experience with a carved wood cup I carry at rendezvous. Forget when I got it, somewhere between 20-30 years ago. Tried finishing with several things. Result, when in use there always is a very unpleasant slick on top of the liquid. BTW, this cup is used for water, coffee, juices and evening beverages. Best result is no finish. No finish, no slick and no funny tastes.

Chuck,

Not sure I'd want to drink wine out of plexiglass! ;) Although it might have improved some of the vintages I've had lately! ;)

Have you thought of fine sanding, and then a very light rubbing of wax? Not enough to leave a glistening surface, just enough to soak into the fibers a little, to slow absorption, and maybe prevent staining?

Might be worth a try. I can't think of any other finish I'd look forward to drinking from! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Thanks guys, that makes life easier since I hate finishing anyway... I'll try to post results when I get something made. Probably be a while, I have a bathroom remodeling job to start this next week.. that may take a while.

Chuck,

Not sure I'd want to drink wine out of plexiglass! ;) Although it might have improved some of the vintages I've had lately! ;)

Have you thought of fine sanding, and then a very light rubbing of wax? Not enough to leave a glistening surface, just enough to soak into the fibers a little, to slow absorption, and maybe prevent staining?

Might be worth a try. I can't think of any other finish I'd look forward to drinking from! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Wine will bring wax to the surface. Then you have that sickening slick again. Ask me how I know. ;)