Getting Back to my Roots

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a piece of ash root burl that I used this weekend to test my new Ci1 and the Monster carbide tool.

I've got lots of pics, so I'll spare you a lot of reading. Here's what I started with:

Ash Root Ball Bowl 2 - 01 800.jpg

One side did have a bit of a flat spot on it for the faceplate:

Ash Root Ball Bowl 2 - 02 800.jpg

A little work with my beater hand plane, and I had the faceplate mounted. The figure in the wood was real promising:

Ash Root Ball Bowl 2 - 03 800.jpg

After I mounted in on the lathe, I spotted this hitchhiker. A garden slug from the back yard. He got to meet my friend Centrifugal Force shortly after this picture was taken:

Ash Root Ball Bowl 2 - 04 800.jpg

Here's the blank, ready to beat on the Ci1:

Ash Root Ball Bowl 2 - 05 800.jpg Ash Root Ball Bowl 2 - 06 800.jpg

Here we are about 40 minutes later. I was not hurrying or trying to see how hard I could push the lathe:

Ash Root Ball Bowl 2 - 09 800.jpg Ash Root Ball Bowl 2 - 10 800.jpg

Continued in the next post... :wave:

After I got the tenon turned and that outside shape close to what I wanted, I reversed the blank and used a Forstner bit to give myself a pilot hole. Because of the placement of the bark inclusions on the blank, I opted to go for a closed form bowl. Think of it as a wide-mouthed hollow form:

Ash Root Ball Bowl 2 - 11 800.jpg

I did much of the inside hollowing with the Ci1. I did stepped plunge cuts, in 1" or so increments, starting from the pilot hole and working my way towards the outside. Here's a shot from early in the process. You can see how cleanly the Ci1 was cutting:

Ash Root Ball Bowl 2 - 12 800.jpg

I did a little of the undercutting with the Ci1, but it eventually got a bit dicey, so I switched to the Monster articulating arm with the round carbide cutter.

Ash Root Ball Bowl 2 - 13 800.jpg

It has taken me a little while, but I'm starting to get the hang of the Monster carbide bit. I get my best results (so far) with the cutter at 90 degrees, parallel to the lathe bed, running the speed as fast as I comfortably can.

I left the walls pretty thick for now. I'll see how much courage I can muster before I decide how thin I'll take it after it dries:

Ash Root Ball Bowl 2 - 14 800.jpg Ash Root Ball Bowl 2 - 15 800.jpg

For now, it's bathing in DNA, and I'll know in a month or two how it's gonna finish out.

Cool pictoral, Vaughn! I love seeing how other folks do things.

I do have to say, though, about the first picture...that blank is one ugly mother. :eek:

I'm looking forward to seing how it "turns" out. :D

Well Vaughn, you have this monster in controle, a whole operation to get it this way, I enjoyed the pictures of the turning procedure.
I'm waiting to see the finished product.
Ad

Very impressive. I can see where the "courage" part is going to come in. Maybe you should just thin the top edge and leave the rest as is. Be a pity to have all go flying about the shop on the last cut.

Great work Vaughn!

I suppose that when you are done you will carry it up to the precipice of a high rock outcropping overlooking the (asphalt) jungle, hold it up over your head and say. "Behold, the only thing greater than yourself." Or something like that. :D

Thanks for the comments, all...
Was that a local find? I take it you like the Ci-1? I'm seriously pondering getting one.
Barry, the wood came from the neighbor's firewood pile. (His electric splitter couldn't handle it.) And yes, the Ci1 is worth the money IMHO. Not sure how it does what it does, but it does it very well.

Good job Vaughn! I'm looking forward to see it finished!.

You guys put my teeth on edge showing me those things, one of these days I'm going to take the plunge and post something turned and then.... and then YOU'LL SEE....
what a lousy turner I am:rofl:

Vaughn - thanks for the step-by-step photos - helps to give me a feel of what you went through so far! Going to be an interesting piece once finished!

So, how did you like the new cutter?