Overdone outfeed? Advice needed

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
I almost feel bad saying this knowing what some of you are working with when it comes to square footage in your shops, but here goes anyway. I'm cramped for space! I share m400 +/- sf with the furnace, extra fridge, HW heater, laundry, and back of the fireplace. In addition, all my wood storage is 'in shop' and all other normal household repair tools and supplies are also kept there.

When I first purchased my TS I had a lot less 'stuff' in the shop (see pictures) and I added a full width out feed table that is almost 3' deep. Overdone, for sure, but I had the space. East small.jpg West.jpg Oh, BTW, these pictures are several years old - the shop has not been this empty, or this clean, in a looooooong time!:rofl:

Now, as I look to make room for planned shop upgrades (like a real router table) I see the error of my ways as the right side of the out feed table does little more than act as a collection area for cut offs and occasional extra bench space for glue ups, etc.

My question, and my need for advice, concerns the need for a large out feed space. I've noticed that most out feed table designs in books and magazines concern themselves only with an area equal in width to the actual saw table. Many are hinged to fall down out of the way when not in use. When additional support is needed various forms of rollers and such are called into service.

I'm thinking of going the fold down route. Do any of you use a fold down out feed? Pros? Cons? Should I keep what I have and find another way to satisfy my space needs?:dunno: All input welcome!

Back when John Shaffner and I shared the shop mahal, we had a 4' wide by 5' long outfeed/work table in the center of the shop. It too was a catch all, but when it came to ripping long stock etc it was great to have. I don't have nearly as much room available, so my plan is for one of the fold down style outfeed/work tables once I get to that point in my shop.

For me, when I get to it, a drop or fold down is just about my only option for outfeed. My shop is my garage and the TS is set so the outfeed is through the garage door to the great out of doors. It is also set fairly close to the door so it has to be opened for nearly any ripping function.

I haven't found the need for a folding outfeed table...yet. My current outfeed is 18", which is ample for most tasks, and a roller support handles the rest.

I did have a standalone router table but it took up too much space, so I have dismantled it and opted for using the side of my tablesaw for the router. This might be something you want to consider.

Can you mobilize the machine so that it can feed through the door? I can't see your pic for some reason so I'm just throwing something out there. I know of a guy who has small space but the basement has doors that go outside. So when he needs to, he moves his table saw and planer to the door area, opens the double doors so the wood has some place to go.

Back when John Shaffner and I shared the shop mahal, we had a 4' wide by 5' long outfeed/work table in the center of the shop. It too was a catch all, but when it came to ripping long stock etc it was great to have. I don't have nearly as much room available, so my plan is for one of the fold down style outfeed/work tables once I get to that point in my shop.
Thanks Ned - I knew this thread would catch your eye having limited space to work with.

For me, when I get to it, a drop or fold down is just about my only option for outfeed. My shop is my garage and the TS is set so the outfeed is through the garage door to the great out of doors. It is also set fairly close to the door so it has to be opened for nearly any ripping function.
I angled my saw since this picture was taken to take advantage of the open door for long rips. Even so, I've only really needed it a couple of times. The jointer is on wheels so I pull it away from the wall as needed (it has also been relocated since the picture was taken.)

I haven't found the need for a folding outfeed table...yet. My current outfeed is 18", which is ample for most tasks, and a roller support handles the rest.

I did have a standalone router table but it took up too much space, so I have dismantled it and opted for using the side of my table saw for the router. This might be something you want to consider.
I like the idea of just having a more shallow outfeed, not having to hinge it - I'll keep this in mind. Another member PM'd me and suggested I look at putting my router in the extension - I might look more at this option also.

Can you mobilize the machine so that it can feed through the door? I can't see your pic for some reason so I'm just throwing something out there. I know of a guy who has small space but the basement has doors that go outside. So when he needs to, he moves his table saw and planer to the door area, opens the double doors so the wood has some place to go.
Yes - do that now - see my answer to Jerry. Seems like a common idea!

Actually, I take all my sheet goods out on the back patio and reduce them to manageable sizes prior to wrestling them onto the TS. And it's rare I need to rip anything longer than 8' and the closed door is a little further off than that.

All good info guys - thanks! Keep it coming.:thumb:

that be one nice looking work area/shop
Im guessing that wood storage moves so you can open the door?maybe not

I have to have everything mobile, or collapsable, I use a 3 foot sawhorse, folding legs, I put a piece of pvc pipe wrapped around a piece of a closet pole, that serves as my outfeed if its large pieces.
I keep the small outfeed(12in) roller on the other side.

Last edited:
that be one nice looking work area/shop
I'm guessing that wood storage moves so you can open the door?maybe not

I have to have everything mobile, or collapsible, I use a 3 foot sawhorse, folding legs, I put a piece of pvc pipe wrapped around a piece of a closet pole, that serves as my outfeed if its large pieces.
I keep the small outfeed(12in) roller on the other side.
Yes, it was a nice, clean, spacious shop.... once!:eek::rofl::rofl:

Triple the amount of lumber seen in the photo (yes, it's on casters - but right now it's way too heavy to move), add an 18" BS, 6" belt/10" disk sanding station, floor model drill press, and a few other items and it got crowded.... fast!

Rennie,

First, I suggest you take current photos, make them LARGER than those tiny ones :poke: you posted, and let us see the whole current shop. That would make it easier to make useful suggestions.

Next, random ideas, in random order

- you could put the router table in the right side of the TS table, to the right of the fence. Or in the outfeed table

- you have a ton of wasted space under your outfeed table and the area to the right of the saw. If you fill that in with cabinetry and/or shelves, then you could rip out some of your other storage to make more room. (Take a look at some of Bart Leetch's shop photos! Or any number of projects out there that replace the base of a Contractor-type tablesaw with a big mobile wooden cabinet full of drawers and shelves.

- you have this huge wall of cabinets. I have something like that, but less of it. Many times I wonder if it would be more efficient to rip it all out, (or in your case, just some of it) and replace it with a floor-to-ceiling cabinet for storage. The horizontal space under the upper cabinets just tends to collect junk, I find.

- you could put your workbench on wheels and make it the same height as the outfeed table. then get rid of the current outfeed table and when you absolutely need it, use the workbench for outfeed.

- build a custom shorter base for the jointer and tuck it under one of the wings of the TS, or under the outfeed table.

- did I mention all that wasted space under/around your TS ??? ;)

Here's my solution - With the space constraints I have, everything has be Mobile so I can get it out into the driveway for those big cuts. That creates problems in itself, especially when working with sheet goods. The table, when up, is the width of the saw & added router wing (about 5' wide) and 64" deep. The fold down out feed is a 2 1/2" thick X 31" deep torsion box so it's light. It just clears the ground when folded down. Here's a pic from a while ago, I've added two fold down legs that are attached with hinges and magnetic catches hold them up in the folded position.

Mike

1.jpg

Got a different take. Make your outfeed table your router table. :thumb:

Or rather build you router table into the out feed table.
Certainly a possibility

Rennie,

First, I suggest you take current photos, make them LARGER than those tiny ones :poke: you posted, and let us see the whole current shop. That would make it easier to make useful suggestions.

OK - you asked for it. here they are - you can't get more recent than this!:rofl: BTW - I do this because I know you really want to help in spite of the fact that it causes me great personal embarrassment :eek::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Next, random ideas, in random order

- you could put the router table in the right side of the TS table, to the right of the fence. Or in the outfeed table

This is something I'm seriously considering :thumb:

- you have a ton of wasted space under your outfeed table and the area to the right of the saw. If you fill that in with cabinetry and/or shelves, then you could rip out some of your other storage to make more room. (Take a look at some of Bart Leetch's shop photos! Or any number of projects out there that replace the base of a Contractor-type tablesaw with a big mobile wooden cabinet full of drawers and shelves.

Well, it's not really wasted - poor utilization perhaps - but not wasted. See current pictures.:eek: I'll go take another look at Bart's shop.:huh:

- you have this huge wall of cabinets. I have something like that, but less of it. Many times I wonder if it would be more efficient to rip it all out, (or in your case, just some of it) and replace it with a floor-to-ceiling cabinet for storage. The horizontal space under the upper cabinets just tends to collect junk, I find.

Actually - I use every cubic inch of those cabinets. That's not to say that some other form of storage might not work better.:dunno:

- you could put your workbench on wheels and make it the same height as the outfeed table. then get rid of the current outfeed table and when you absolutely need it, use the workbench for outfeed.

Well, it already is the same height, but I use it to support long stock as I feed it 'in' :rofl: Now, should I spin the TS 180 degrees? Hmmmm....

- build a custom shorter base for the jointer and tuck it under one of the wings of the TS, or under the outfeed table.

As you can see in the new pics, the jointer is now on wheels and it now lives against the wall - when it's not buried under future firewood.:eek::rofl:

- did I mention all that wasted space under/around your TS ??? ;)

You did - see above:D
DSC_2521 (700 x 465).jpg DSC_2522 (720 x 479).jpg DSC_2523 (700 x 465).jpg DSC_2524.jpg DSC_2525 (700 x 465).jpg DSC_2526.jpg DSC_2527.jpg DSC_2528.jpg DSC_2529.jpg

My GaShop lets me use almost nothing (except maybe the DP) without rolling it out, so a fixed outfeed was never in the cards for me. I ended up installing one of the HTC folding roller tables and only wish I'd done it sooner. It takes up no extra room when the saw is in it's storage location and is always ready and level with the table top when I need it.
HTC_PMInstall7.jpg

although where I do what I consider woodworking is a garage with some power tools in it, forgetting all the equipment, Im really envious you have an AC and a fridge in your shop. If I had that, Id put a tv for the ballgames, I might not have to leave there \;only for showers.

OK - you asked for it. here they are - you can't get more recent than this!

Now That is a shop!

Here's my first suggestion: Stop buying wood and start using it!!! :doh::D You've got a huge huge huge stash of lumber, Rennie! Not that I'm envious or anything like that... :eek:

So how satisfied are you with having the laundry pair in your shop? No issues with Dust vs Clothes ? I've read other people who have not been happy like that. If it were me, that's one thing I would try "negotiating" with LOML to relocate elsewhere in the house or basement.

(You must be in a fairly mild climate, I never see W/D in a garage up here in Ontario. I expect this in CA or Fla, but I thought Idaho at least had winter. :rolleyes: )

Sorry, no other suggestions here. Seems to me like you've already done a lot with packing things in. Tons of storage I see.

although where I do what I consider woodworking is a garage with some power tools in it, forgetting all the equipment, Im really envious you have an AC and a fridge in your shop. If I had that, Id put a tv for the ballgames, I might not have to leave there \;only for showers.
AC and heat:thumb: and, of course, the fridge is always stocked with both shop appropriate beverages and 'post-shop' appropriate beverages.:D Did you notice the 'ballast' I use to steady the DP? :rofl:

Now That is a shop!

Here's my first suggestion: Stop buying wood and start using it!!! :doh::D You've got a huge huge huge stash of lumber, Rennie! Not that I'm envious or anything like that... :eek:

:rofl: The pine that is loaded on the rack has been there for about 6 years. Yep - I said 6! The local "Home Base" store went out of business and I bought the entire stock of clear select for 50% off. I'm using it to furnish and trim our MBR. Floor to ceiling cabinets in a somewhat shaker style. Huge bed with drawers beneath. That room is about 70% done. The walnut on the floor, 300 bf, was a "gift" (I have another thread on that :() that has yet to be assigned a destiny - though our church needs a bookcase and podium :D.

So how satisfied are you with having the laundry pair in your shop? No issues with Dust vs Clothes ? I've read other people who have not been happy like that. If it were me, that's one thing I would try "negotiating" with LOML to relocate elsewhere in the house or basement.

Our house is only 1,100 sf and there is no basement :(. I WISH there was another place to put the laundry. Trust me, we've investigated lots of possibilities. It's my 'responsibility' to insure that all clean clothes are brought into the house prior to making any dust. In turn, the LOML does the dusting of the W&D, though I'm responsible for keeping the floor clean. Division of responsibilities - works well :thumb:

(You must be in a fairly mild climate, I never see W/D in a garage up here in Ontario. I expect this in CA or Fla, but I thought Idaho at least had winter. :rolleyes: )

No, not mild at all. All summer is hot & dry - between 85 & 105. Winters can be very cold at times. We often have a week or more of days that touch the single digits. Basements are not common in our area and most homes have the laundry in the garage or in a small room between the garage and kitchen.

Sorry, no other suggestions here. Seems to me like you've already done a lot with packing things in. Tons of storage I see.

Actually, you had several! I am seriously considering a major reorg - but it may need to wait till after Labor Day as I still have a long honey-do list for the summer!:rofl:

My GaShop lets me use almost nothing (except maybe the DP) without rolling it out, so a fixed outfeed was never in the cards for me. I ended up installing one of the HTC folding roller tables and only wish I'd done it sooner. It takes up no extra room when the saw is in it's storage location and is always ready and level with the table top when I need it.
View attachment 22081
Neat attachment Doug! I looked at this on the Woodcraft website - it has possibilities.:thumb:

Yep, that IS a shop being put to use. :thumb:

Until I get that round tuit thing I need to make a fold/drop down outfeed support, I recently made this rolling cabinet sorta thing.

P4101654-600.jpg

P4101655-600.jpg

As it normally sits, it gives support for long crosscuts. If needed, it can be rolled out onto the driveway in the outfeed area and the work supports adusted to the proper height for outfeed.

Recently while straightening up a bit in the shop I came upon the left over pieces of that adhesive back slippery tape like stuff I used for the sliding rails on the wheel chair accessable baby bed I made a while back, and I've stuck those on top of the the work supports making stuff slide real nicely on them.

Hi Rennie :wave:,
Thanks for the pictures. You are blessed with nice tools and room to work. Your end results speak for themselves, keep producing, solutions will come:thumb:.
Shaz :)