Quilted Mahogany Top

here are some pictures of the base-the two ends leg piece are loose and slip off
the stretcher when the key is knocked out,the
the post that the arch is mortised into are mortised but loose in the stretcher so the arch and post left out, all four goncolo cross pieces that the top sets on are in open mortices and are glued and pegged-it knocks down into four easy to move pieces (six counting the top)-
DSCF0016-4.jpg

the goncolo alves arch was cut from a solid piece 16"wide 2"thick and five ft. long
DSCF0003-10.jpg

the four legs there cross pieces and the stretcher were all cut from the same ribbon stripped mahogany timber-it was 16ft. long 14in. wide and 5in. thick-
DSCF0015-7.jpg

showing cross piece pegged in open mortise and leg cross piece tenon cut through and wedged
DSCF0006-12.jpg

DSCF0011-4.jpg

the through stretcher tenon with rosewood key and goncolo backing plate
DSCF0008-3.jpg

rounding off the sharp corners
alex

That is just Amazing! :eek: :thumb:

The top is one solid piece, right? How did you flatten something that big?:huh:

sean-i used hand planes-first a jack plane then a long jointer next a smoothing plane and last a big scraper plane-then i used cabinet scrapers-not bad considering i did it in one setting and i opened and finished a bottle of red wine at the same time.

alex

as if!

sean-i used hand planes-first a jack plane then a long jointer next a smoothing plane and last a big scraper plane-then i used cabinet scrapers-not bad considering i did it in one setting and i opened and finished a bottle of red wine at the same time.

alex

the table didnt blow us all outa the water, the fact you done it by hand with planes rather than using modern day equipment deserves a round of applause that must have been one long day. asstounding work edward:eek::thumb::thumb:

the table didnt blow us all outa the water, the fact you done it by hand with planes rather than using modern day equipment deserves a round of applause that must have been one long day. asstounding work edward:eek::thumb::thumb:

larry-it didn't really take that long to hand plane this top down-and as far as using modern equipment well there is a time saver in austin but it's $200 bucks an hour-and like i said i was drinking a bottle of red wine and i just don't think they would let me bring it in there shop.
these pictures are of the tree just after it was run through the mill in 1983-
robert novak and some of the boards right after it was cut-
Mefig.jpg

some unknown person and the famous tree cut and stacked-that's it in the back also-12000 board feet came out of the tree.
STACKS.jpg

alex