Blemished Bowl?

Jon Lanier

Another little spalted bowl. About 5 inches in Diameter. This blank ended up near the edge of the log and decided to keep in the imperfection as a "artist interpretation." Any thoughts on it?

Thanks

spaltedbowl2apj4.jpg

spaltedbowlwithabitnewm5.jpg

Looks good to me, too. The natural blemish is fine IMHO. Had it been a ding from getting sailed across the shop, then maybe no, but a natural one works for me.

I must admit, I like what the guys on the other forum call the 'rustic look.' I love the contrast between the smooth turned parts and the natural bits.
:thumb::thumb:

I did a charity sale for a blind organisation and it was fascinating watching people 'look' at the pieces by feeling. These were the ones they liked most because of the contrast

Pete

With that I would say you have had some end up that way :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Who, me?

Hammer Test 1 800.jpg

Truth be told, I didn't really blow that one up while it was turning. It was real punky and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get a clean cut. I decided life is too short to deal with uncooperative wood, so I removed it from the lathe with a 16 oz framing hammer. :p

Jon,

That is one cool bowl. I really like the shape you chose with the rounded edges. I don't remember seeing one like it before and it certainly works for me. I think the natural inclusion adds character. Doesn't detract at all.

Keep up the good work,