a question for a box for a 75lb drill press

allen levine

If I build a simple box, approx 18 x24,30 inches total height put it on casters, do I need to add 2x4s as a frame, or would 3/4 plywood screwed and glued be sufficient to support the press without the top bellying in or being wobbly?
I intend on mounting the castors on 2x4s, then attaching that to bottom piece of ply, and double sheet(2 pieces of 3/4 inch plywood) top surface supporting the press.

Assuming the 18" dimension is wide, I think the plywood would deflect under the load if it had no additional support other than the plywood sides and back. However, a 2x4 would be overkill. A 1 x 2 of a good strong hardwood like oak set on edge at the front edge of the cabinet, and 1 or 2 more directly under the load, would work well. IMHO

I tried something similar once upon a time. I ended up doubling the top (3/4" x 2) as it sagged under the weight. I think something as heavy as 2x is overkill though ;-)

there isnt much between a 2x2 frame and a box without a frame.
(only an inch and a half, hehehe, well, 3 inches counting both sides)
Im going to go with Rennie, notch out a 1x2 on edge on front, middle and back,of top of walls only, put the plywood top on top of that, and just glue and screw the rest.
Ill add a shelf in the middle for added support

there isnt much between a 2x2 frame and a box without a frame.
(only an inch and a half, hehehe, well, 3 inches counting both sides)
Im going to go with Rennie, notch out a 1x2 on edge on front, middle and back,of top of walls only, put the plywood top on top of that, and just glue and screw the rest.
Ill add a shelf in the middle for added support
Allen - I did miss the fact that you were doubling the top sheet. :huh: Assuming you will laminate the two top sheets into a single 1 1/2" thick top you should not experience any sag without additional framing. Never-the-less, the oak trim would still be a nice touch:D

laminate as in glue the top sheets together, yes, thats about all I would do.
I have 3 - 3/4" pieces laminated together for my combo planer/mortiser stand. It's about 20" wide and is supported only by a single steel rod that goes through the middle of the middle sheet. The combined weight of the machines is well over 100 lbs. no sagging... ever.:thumb:

I'd beef up the platform with a hardwood perimeter frame.

Question: Where'd you get a floor mount drill press that only weighs 75 pounds? Both of mine are well over 100# - probably closer to 150 for the Shop Fox, and maybe 175~200 for the Powermatic.

Im sorry, I thought I mentionedl I purchased a table top delta dp300L
I posted it in tools section, also purchased the delta mortiser kit.
Overall shipping weight was 82 lbs, but then again the mortiser must weigh in at 10-15 lbs when all assembled and attached with fence.

my portable wood rack is a casualty of war, the space war.
The thing was such a huge pain in the neck to build, so heavy and tough to assemble,
On a positive note, I found a pair of slides while cleaning out some space, so Ill put a drawer into it.

I've been watching this thread with some interest. I've got a benchtop delta DP and I've learned a lot from all of the responses. I'm pretty well settled on building a plywood shell to go over the steel drawer unit that I have. I figure that I'll make it a little taller than the drawer unit , so I can have a shelf to store bits, circle cutter jig etc.

Rennie, I'd be interested in seeing that photo too if you don't mind.

I don't have anything useful to add to the topic, but every time I see the thread title, I wonder why you'd have a question for a box. :rofl: I guess my question would be "Box, why do you have a 75 pound drill press on you?" :p

I really need to get some sleep. :zzz: I've had about 3 hours worth since Monday morning. :bonkers:

I've been watching this thread with some interest. I've got a benchtop delta DP and I've learned a lot from all of the responses. I'm pretty well settled on building a plywood shell to go over the steel drawer unit that I have. I figure that I'll make it a little taller than the drawer unit , so I can have a shelf to store bits, circle cutter jig etc.

Rennie, I'd be interested in seeing that photo too if you don't mind.
Ned - I promise I'll get one posted. I promised to shampoo carpets last night so I forgot to go out and snap the picture :(. I thought I had one already, so I'll look around. If not, I'll try and remember to get it done this evening.

I thought youd have posted it up by now.
I was looking foward to seeing it before I started cutting.
Im still in the process of cleaning out space and making space and dumping wood, gonna dissassemble the old wood cart and salvage some plywood.
Ill check in again.

Yeah, come on Rennie. Post the picture for crying out loud!

:p:p:p

Actually, even though I have a floor model DP, I'm following this for ideas on a stand for my mortiser.
Here's a taste - you can see it on the left side of the picture. The mortiser hangs underneath the planer - or vise versa when the table is flipped.
attachment.php

I just hate to bust up something I built, but Im going to do it shortly,
was a nice handy rolling woodrack.
I had to make storage for some wood, so I have that done.
Actually figured out I have more than 2 clamps, so I even put up a board to hold some of those.
Wood storage, clamp rack, in 5 or 6 years Ill actually have the beginning of a real wood shop.
rennie, ya gotta give me a better pic than that. My eyes arent what they used to be, and it aint much better with my glasses.

Attachments

• wood stuff 017 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 017 (Medium).jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 18
  • wood stuff 016 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 016 (Medium).jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 19
  • wood stuff 018 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 018 (Medium).jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 15