Sliver maple?

Al killian

Is silver maple considerd soft maple or hard maple? I was just given permission to remove a huge silver maple from a chunck of land that will be cleared for a house. The maple is atleast 30" across at chest level There are a few others on the property that I am going to see if I can get if my buddy can drop with out hitting the fence.

Al...

Good catch. Free wood.

Chest level...DBH (diameter breast height). 30" DBH is a sizeable tree. You'll need equipment to move an 8' saw log from that thing. Heavy.

Hard or soft maple, I'd take it. If you don't like it as primary wood it would do well as secondary wood.

Since it's living it probably won't be spalted unless it's been stressed. Let it "age" for awhile before you mill it to give the fungi a chance to get after it. This is dicey though, as leaving it too long will spoil it. I agree with Barry. Spalted maple is cool looking.

Good luck with it.

Cheers.

Ed, I live in farm country. So, there is plenty of heavy equipment around. A local old guy has given me lifetime use of his toys( dozers, tractors) for going over ther and help keep his driveway clean in the winter. Plus the sawyer has grabble if needed. Just waiiting for the ground to dry up some.

Good on ya.

If you can get some other trees from that lot it might be worth risking letting one get spalted.

I'd say I'm envious, but I'm guessing you already knew that.

Cheers.