Am I obsessed or possessed?

Cody Colston

At 01:30 hrs. this morning, 150 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico, on a floating drilling rig I was lying awake in my cabin contemplating a design for a turned vase! I sketched out the design on paper after I got done with my morning obligations and it looks great. I hope I can craft it the way I imagined it.

I've also got a blanket chest commission that I need to finish but this spinny stuff keeps interfering with my time. I can't seem to quit turning and thinking about turning.

I fear I may have finally succumbed to the vortex. :)

Happens most nights to me...sometimes while my wife is talking to me :rolleyes:....BTW try not to do that, she doesn't appreciate it!:doh:

I'm shocked Cody. Shocked, I say. :eek:

You design your pieces? I tend to just throw a piece of wood on the lathe and start cutting. :p :rofl:

Yeppers, you done fell into the Vortex. ;) That blanket chest is gonna be a hassle to build...I'm guessing you'll need to clear off your bowl blank drying table (a.k.a. table saw) in order to make it. :D

What's so odd is that I've had my lathe over three years now but never got so caught up in turning until lately. I'm even starting to get "mustard" fever.:eek:

Before, I would use turning as a change-of-pace between flat work projects. I guess the incubation period was just a bit longer for me, huh?

Vaughn, I've been thinking about this vase for a good while now but last night all the elements came together in my head. I just hope I can make it happen on and off the lathe. I've got a couple of different embellishments in mind. ;)

Cody - Welcome to the club!

Always enjoyed doing flatwork but when I started turning everything changed. Once I accepted the fact that right angles and flat edges were no longer the rule - it seems I became consumed with 'new' ideas of what I could make with wood. Used to be when I saw a board I appreciated the grain and thought of projects I could use it for. Now when I see a tree or log I envision what I can turn out of it! I like the fact that I can use green wood and not have to go to the borg to buy lumber.

Used to be that I would design all my flatwork projects on graph paper first, work out the details and then build. With turning it has gotten to the point that all I have to do is see the shape in my mind and get to work. Lots easier and lots more fun!

Have fun with your creative designs - the more you do - the easier it becomes! Looking forward to seeing the vase!