Virtual meeting idea

Rob Keeble

Hi All

Since I am brand new to the concept of a forum but am not new to the use of the web to host aspects such as webinars or a virtual meeting with audio, has anyone including the owners or founders of this site considered the aspect of hosting a weekly or monthly or whatever, virtual meeting with audio.

The thought occurred to me that this would potentially be a way we hold a "jamboree" type of event with say show and tell etc where those participants that wished to would present their work, shop, technique or just show off a tool or wood whatever but be able to interact live with other members. This is not difficult to do today and would be pretty entertaining I thought and would bring the "family closer together".

Think of this as an evening watching and participating in a live event rather than watching some junk show on TV.

I can visualize this in a way that some people could present pictures that they have precompiled into a presentation, others could do live video feed of a say turning technique etc.

Any thoughts from the family? With gas prices being what they are this is a way to have a fireside chat without leaving the home.

Hey while doing this I thought we could even get the event sponsored by a tool supplier who gets a few minutes to present that new tool soon to be released.

I like the idea, but i haven't got a clue how could it be done.

Different time frames may be a problem though:( I'm about 7 hours ahead and Stu for instance another 7 ...

I'm setting up a space on google lively, but it has limits. Windows only. Don't know about audio yet, or video.

We may be better off on second life...

Anyone have any experience with SL? We have a private island. I'll see if I can dig up the slurl...

Thanks,

Bill

I know they are very popular. I belong to a couple forums that have them and they are used. But, personally, I'm not interested in participating. Jest not my thang. Maybe you should set up a poll.