Band Saw Dust Collection?

Bill Simpson

I finally figured out why they put that dust collection spigot under the table on the bandsaw. Can't be for collecting dust as it doesn't to that. :huh:

Can't see a big difference between when I have the DC hooked up or when I forget to... :dunno:

After resawing some Ash 4" X 4" timbers to make 1/8" slats for laminating (yet another) curved piece for that old Model T Towncar... The DC hose was connected and whiring away and yet the dust was piled all about, but the hose was in easy reach and the DC already turned on so I was able to clean up my mess w/o walking around searching for the hose , etc. It were there within reach and easy to get at. :thumb: Thats it, its not a DC port, its a DC hose holder... Neat Idea, Eh(?) :rofl:

Anybody got a decent plan or successful approach? One that doesn't involve chopping into the saw and making an abortion of the cabinet?

My experience has been similar. I plug the DC hose into the back of my bandsaw with a quick-connect fitting. I had thought the dust port was to collect the dust, but I think you're onto something here. Maybe the "dust port" is really just a handy place to keep the end of the hose, so it's nearby for cleanup after you're done cutting. :p

Actually, my port (which is on the back of the lower half of the saw) does OK for getting the dust that would collect around the bottom wheel, but it doesn't get anything from the table of the saw. So I always just grab the DC hose and mop up what's left behind when I'm done.

I experimented for a long time before I came up with this one. It works pretty darn well, and collects probably 90%+ of the dust.

I made it about ten years ago, and have tried several other schemes since then, but have always come back to this one.

I did something along the lines of Jim's idea too. It's attached with rare earth magnets and gets about 98% of the dust. I don't have any finished pix, but you should get the idea. I think collecting the dust as it comes through the table and before it gets to the wheels is a better idea than trying to get it past that point. The open end gives lots of air flow to move the dust IMO.

Mike
sm-wt-dust01.jpg sm-wt-dust02.jpg

The dust port on my Grizzly is at the back of the housing for the lower wheel. While using, it doesn't impress me with it's collecting abilities. But dust doesn't seem to collect as much on parts of the machine as without and the tub does fill with dust so something must be happening. I use a Shop Vac and the filter clogs up long before the tub fills.