Every Photographer's Nightmare

Ned Bulken

I do a lot of walking at work, with my Sony in hand. I always keep the strap loosely wrapped around my wrist. Today that wasn't enough. I was shooting on a busy street, which had a concrete median strip. I had finished shooting the buildings I needed to do and was heading back to the van when all of a sudden I tripped on a pair of bolts set into the concrete and took a tumble. I got pretty scraped up, and my DSC went flying. :eek:

Thankfully I keep a neutral density filter on it, and though the barrell of the lens got a little scraped up the filter took much more damage and is easily replaced.
I ruined a brand new set of khakis, and have some nice road rash. and the camera seems to work pretty well. I'm pretty sore at the moment, after cleaning up.

well I did get a few scrapes...

scrape2.jpg

knee.jpg

man did those smart when I showered. Yeouch was the mildest I said at that point...

and here's the filter...
filter.jpg

Camera banged up: Bummer.

You banged up: Much bigger bummer. Glad it wasn't worse...those falls can mess you up. Just ask Ken Fitzgerald or Dale Johnson or me.

... and my DSC went flying. :eek:

Yeah, I can bet that you wouldn't be excited to have to ask the boss for a new camera. Though I would think that they would expect to turn over a certain number of their company cameras every year.

Hope the knee doesn't stiffen up on you overnight!
best,
...art

I called my boss asap once I got back in the van, in case the camera was toast. As is, it seems fine. Her immediate response was for my safety, however. New camera if I needed one of course. I really won't even need a new UV filter, though I think I'll get one and keep this as a trophy.

I could just see the faces of the work crew that decided well, its only sticking out of the ground a few inches, I dont think anyone would trip and get hurt, what do you guys think? should we reset them lower? (discussion of the work crew), Ok, so we all agree, its ok, lets break for lunch!

Ouch! It's been a long time since I don't get those (not that I want to), I used to wear quite a few of them in different healing stages due to trying to push my limits on my mountain bike. The worst one I got was a broken rib:(

Glad you didn't get hurt worse that you did. 8 weeks in a "restraint" is no fun, especially in hot weather. Also, vicodone isn't all it's cracked up to be. Got more relief from some ice mixed with Johnny Walker. Did your fall seem to go in slow motion too?

Glad you didn't get hurt worse that you did. 8 weeks in a "restraint" is no fun, especially in hot weather. Also, vicodone isn't all it's cracked up to be. Got more relief from some ice mixed with Johnny Walker. Did your fall seem to go in slow motion too?

nope, over in a heartbeat. I'm doing ok today, though I won't ever recommend growing an entire kneecap's worth of skin from scratch as a hobby.

*sigh* was up on a ladder today taking measurements for the haymow door to fill in the end of the shop, didn't realize just how much I lean on the rung above with my knee til today.

nope, over in a heartbeat. I'm doing ok today, though I won't ever recommend growing an entire kneecap's worth of skin from scratch as a hobby.

*sigh* was up on a ladder today taking measurements for the haymow door to fill in the end of the shop, didn't realize just how much I lean on the rung above with my knee til today.

Anything can happen to anyone at anytime. I was three days in the woods, exploring caves with the grandsons, came home fine. Couple hours ago, got a bad ankle sprain just walking in yard. Go figger. I can hardly get to the fridge for a beer. :( We are going out to eat tonight. The question is: Do I use a cane and look like an old man? Answer: Old man is too stubborn. Will suffer instead.

Ouch! I hope you heal quickly. That does look painful. I'm glad it wasn't worse.
I think my 6 y.o. son has the kneecap/skin hobby though.:rolleyes::D

Wes

the offending bolts

bolts.jpg

back downtown this morning. Those are the offending bolts.

My camera as it turns out still shoots, but the zoom is definitely out of whack. I can shoot wide angle (and do much of the time anyway) but If I have to zoom in on a sign, I'm out of luck. *sigh* oh well.
I'm doing a lot of computer work today, as climbing in and out of the van isn't pleasant. Its a shame, today is nice and sunny and not too hot, but oh well.

I was beginning to wonder yesterday if I didn't damage some ligaments in my knee, as it was very stiff and sore. Seems better today however. My shoulder is tender too from the jarring I took when I hit the ground. some 'Pirin tablets are taking care of that, however.

I'm not sure what recourse I'd have, other than the satisfaction of it. It isn't a Sidewalk per se, so they'd probably want to know what I was doing there to begin with.

Often time governmental entities (cities, counties, etc.) have sovereign immunity from law suits. Goes back to old English law from the belief that the king could do no wrong.