Blanket chest

the amateur says cut the walls on a 45 degree angle on the tablesaw.
easy, then glue and use 4 screws on each side, only putting the screws under the areas on top and bottom where the top cove and bottom base mouldings will cover. the screws will not be seen, noone will know they are there, only you, and it will hold the box together as tight as anything.
The work seems to be in the finishing area of this blanket chest.

(then Id use a few carefully places screws on the inside, to hold the mouldings in place, along with glue, then use a small brad gun and glue the cedar over the inside wood, again hiding all constructions screws.
Best of luck with the finishing.

Looking to make a blanket chest. The loml has picked something off of a Brasilian furniture website. I can get enough info from the pictures on the website to build it.

My main concern is the joinery in the corners of the main box. I'm not sure what type of joint to use. It is going to be solid wood... prolly cherry. Any one have a suggestion on what type of joinery to use?

Also she wants it lined with cedar. Do you run the grain parrallel to the box? How is it attached to the main box and what thickness should I use for the cedar.

Any help would be appeciated

Doug

Hi.

I am new here but want you to look at the chest we normally use in Norway. It is used for linnen, table clothes and blankets.
http://rukkedalen.no/kiste.htm

My normal link is http://vissebraaten.no

I am into woodturning, woodwork, scollsaw and some more.

Steinar:wave:

Hi Steiner, welcome to the Family! :wave:

The first link you put up, does not work, I did find this picture of this chest on your website.........

kiste.jpg

Looks great!

Did your wife do the painting on this one too?

Cheers! :)

I think I found the problem :D

Is this the link?

http://rukkedalen.com/kiste.htm

Lots of great looking work on that page! :thumb:

Hi
My mistake...! In a hurry I think.

Yes , this is a solid chest and you can use different ways of corner set together. Anyway the iron is hiding what you do. The most difficult is the top. I use a jig and a designed 2.5 degree angle bit for every peace I make for the top. This is very accurate and you are not getting any opening either on top or under the top of the locker between the peaces.

Steinar.

Doug, two suggestions ...

If you are using aromatic cedar, I have heard some sad stories about the good cedar vapors including a chemical that was in paint remover, and then softening the finish inside a cedar chest. Therefore I suggest that you cover the top, bottom, sides... everything inside with cedar, so none of the inside is finished. If there is something inside that must be finished, some suggested that shellac may survive the cedar vapors, and I might try some of the acrylic lacquer or waterborne conversion varnish (which seem impervious to anything).

Having tried toy box lid supports, I now recommend them for any drop lid that kids might lift. Select the support based on the size and weight of the lid, and it holds the lid in any position, open or closed or in between. They aren't that expensive, once you get past the calculations of which model and how many are required to support your lid.

that is an attractive chest Mr. Vissebraten

Hi and thanks.

The link rukkedalen.com/kiste.htm show the biggest we normally make. It has 40cm high walls and the top is 50cm wide. Lenght is 80cm. The top is about 10 cm higher in the middle then the sides. This makes the special design of the bit I use. I use a software to calculate every peace of wood after I have decided how high above the side and how wide the top has to be.
I will be sending some photos of my shop later when I have cleaned up the mess inside!!

This is a very nice site to read and I do have plans to travel i US next year with my wife. You guys over there has some really nice workshops and if the route I decide to make is not far from someone I will let you know later in the winter whereI plan to go. Starting point will be Houston, Tx and the end is in Minneapolis.

As I said before I use solid pine (slowely growing is the best) and some birch. But it is hard to get.

Steinar.