Source for Pull-On Push-Off Switches?

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
In less that 6 months, I've gone through two of the remote switches that Powermatic sells for the 3520b. The actual switch is a DPST switch, and even though the circuit is only using one side of it, both legs seem to quit working at the same time. Bottom line is the switch itself is cheap junk. Although PM replaced the first one free of charge (and quickly), I don't want to bother replacing a crappy switch with another crappy switch. I want to find another source.

I now have two nice magnetic switch boxes, complete with a 10' or so cord on each, so I'm only looking for a bare switch. It only needs to be SPST, but I can make just about any configuration work. I'd prefer to find something similar to the main power switch on the 3520b...a stout pull-on push-off switch. Any of you know a good source for such parts?

Thanks in advance -

I'll look today Vaughn, but if you have equipment in your shop with a better than average switch you might try getting a replacement switch from that manufacturer and put it on your lathe remote.
Great idea, except PM wants over $90 for a simple on-off switch. :eek: ($88.37 + shipping.) There must be a more economical alternative. :rolleyes:

Thanks Mike. That site looks like it might have some choices along the lines of what I want. I'll have to do some digging around on it sometime when it's not so late. (I'm just wrapping up Sunday night.)

Jeff, I spent a while on the McMaster-Carr site when the first one broke. I'll give them another look, too.

Vaughn - I know you are looking for the same style switch but have you considered using a light switch? I wired a remote for my lathe over a year ago and am still using the same switch. If it goes bad - and I am sure it will some day - it will cost me another $1 to get a new one. With light switches you can use the standard toggle arm or a rocker style and they will work just as well as the $90 ones. Just wanted to throw that out there for you to think about....

Vaughn - I know you are looking for the same style switch but have you considered using a light switch? I wired a remote for my lathe over a year ago and am still using the same switch. If it goes bad - and I am sure it will some day - it will cost me another $1 to get a new one. With light switches you can use the standard toggle arm or a rocker style and they will work just as well as the $90 ones. Just wanted to throw that out there for you to think about....

That is what I was going to suggest as well. My dad did this and I have all the parts to do so, just need to do it. I'm also adding an outlet on mine so I have a handy plug if I need it.

Thanks Steve. The light switch crossed my mind, but I'm hoping to find a switch that'll fit into the magnetic switch box (about 2 1/2" square).

Although the original switch is rated at 20A and 125V, from the looks of the wiring diagram, it's only switching 10V DC, so I should be able to use an automotive switch, too. I'll dig through the links Wes posted, and I've also got a few other leads for industrial "pilot switches". Worse comes to worst, I can always go to Radio Shack and get a beefy toggle switch.

Thanks again -

I don't buy electronic parts like I did in my previous life, but I've used Jameco, Digikey and Mouser as primary sources. Jameco has limited inventory, they seem to try to stock high turnover items, but their prices are good. Digikey has every part out there, but the highest prices. Mouser is almost as good as Digikey for availability, and usually better prices. Sometimes you can find what you need from one of the surplus houses, as someone mentioned, but it's a crap shoot whether or not they'll have it. Grainger is good for lots of stuff, but I think their prices are high. I'd start with Digikey or Grainger to identify a part, then search on the manufacturer and part number...sometimes surprising the source that will turn up the best price (occasionally it's ebay).

Cheers.