full platform bed, simple made

allen levine

I need some simple design for a full size bed, platform style, and a coffee table is easy enough.
My daughter is renting an apt next month in buffalo, doesnt have a bed, and asked me if Id make her one for herfull size mattress.
She wants it high, figured Id use MDF for the platform, and oak ply for the sides and supports. I will build 3 boxes, 18 icnhs high, widgth accordging to mattress size, put a few door on them, for storage, and just screw the mdf ontoo of the ply edges. Platform bed, any better suggestions.
not something I wanted to get started on now, but it will have to be soon.

My suggestion is plywood, not mdf.

I know it'd cost more, but I think your back would thank you when it comes time to move it.

Also, if you screw some cleats to the bottom of the platform, then you can just drop it on top of the boxes and it will "lock" into place. No need for screwing it down.

I'd also use ply for the platform. I built a desk under mine (college days) to provide double duty of the limited space.

I sleep on a platform bed I cobbled together. I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but I threw it together a couple of years ago, intending to build a nicer face for it, but never have. Mine is simply 2x4's kreg'd together in three rectangles , with connectors so they won't spread apart. I put a sheet down one side for triangulation and two sheets of 3/4 cdx on top of that. Our house is tiny for how many people we've got crammed into it, so there are storage bins underneath it.
Makes for a nice knee grabber every now and then as it is just about that height as I painfully discovered this weekend when I crawled into bed. Yep I hit my sore knee squarely on the edge of the ply. Sorry honey, didn't mean to wake you ...

Absolutely no pics, but trust me it did happen.

A better bed is on my short list once the shop gets dried in, since I'm putting the bins that are under there out in the shop...

moving on now that I finished my cabinet, I have to get started shortly on the platform bed, so all my projects are finished and I can get started on my ipe furniture project.

This is where Im at with it. I was going to use maple ply and trim it all around with a small amount of cherry, since it just sounded great and similar to my bedroom set.
Nothing fancy, but then I was told that its not coming back home, my kid just needs a platform to put a matress on. 4 cinderblocks and a piece of wood basically, since drawers are not necessary, and after one year it isnt coming back.
so Im making another box, a big box, with a frame, and 4 walls.
Do I use particle board, or mdf? I think Ill roll 2 coats of paint over the board to give it something, but which is the better choice. Cost is now the biggest concern.
It will be made in 2 sections for transport, and hopefully one 53 inch wide top with small boarder, poplar.
The inside frames will only be sheeted over on 3 sides each, the two centers will simply be bolted or screwed together, board thrown on top.

Allen,

Sounds like entirely too much trouble. Try this: get yourself some #2 pine 2x12s. Cut them to make a box so that the box springs just barely fit inside. Get some 1x2s, Glue and screw them all around the inside, about an inch from the top. Add paint, and you've got a bed. If you want to get picky, add some 1x4s as lateral slats. Easy, quick, and simple. I made a bed like that before I had a shop, or even anything more than a circular saw. We're still sleeping on it. Didn't even use joinery on the ends, just got some metal corner braces out of the joist hanger bins.

Best of all: you can make it, take it apart, and all she'll need is a screwdriver to set it up when she gets there. Easy transport, easy set up, what could be better? ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Alan, I've got a very simple painted particle board platform that's been under my waterbed for decades. When I get a few minutes later this evening, I'll sketch it up for you. You could probably build it in less than an hour.

Alan, here you go...

Platform Bed.jpg

The sides are 3/4" or 5/8" particle board, connected at the inside of each corner with a couple 3" or 4" metal right angle brackets. (I didn't draw the brackets, but I'm sure you get the idea.) The "crosses" in the middle are 1/2" particle board (just because I had it handy way back then), 50" x 18". Each piece is notched so that two pieces form a freestanding "X". No screws or fasteners necessary. Like I said, I've had a waterbed on one like this (I think mine's closer to 14" high) for many, many years. It breaks down quickly and stores compactly.

You can adjust the dimensions as needed, but I drew this one at 80" x 60" x 18" high.

I hope this helps -

Threw couple of beds together myself recently when daughter and kids decided to move in for a bit. 4x4 legs w/ 1x6 sides. M/T head and foot boards to legs, and bed hardware for sides to make for ease of moving. 1x1 glued and screwed to side, head and foot boards with 2 1x2 vertical slats for added support. 3/4" (I think, maybe 5/8) plywood for platforms (mattress only). Platform about 19" above ground to allow for storage, also gives bed more height which daughter loves.

Alan, here you go...

View attachment 22549

The sides are 3/4" or 5/8" particle board, connected at the inside of each corner with a couple 3" or 4" metal right angle brackets. (I didn't draw the brackets, but I'm sure you get the idea.) The "crosses" in the middle are 1/2" particle board (just because I had it handy way back then), 50" x 18". Each piece is notched so that two pieces form a freestanding "X". No screws or fasteners necessary. Like I said, I've had a waterbed on one like this (I think mine's closer to 14" high) for many, many years. It breaks down quickly and stores compactly.

You can adjust the dimensions as needed, but I drew this one at 80" x 60" x 18" high.

I hope this helps -

yes, just what Im thinking, sounds queen size, but I have to break it down to two sections. I was just either going to use 2x4 in center, or just 2 same size height attaching and supporting both sides. Dont think Ill need the X shape.
I have to transport it inside an suv, and full size is too wide.
Thanx for the sketch.

yes, just what Im thinking, sounds queen size, but I have to break it down to two sections. I was just either going to use 2x4 in center, or just 2 same size height attaching and supporting both sides. Dont think Ill need the X shape.
I have to transport it inside an suv, and full size is too wide.
Thanx for the sketch.
I'm with Ned. The X shapes add a lot of strength and resistance to lateral (sideways) loads. Rectangles are much weaker than triangles. They could be a bit smaller, though. They come apart in two flat pieces for moving. The frame around them comes apart into four flat pieces after a couple of minutes with a screwdriver. You could even hinge the sides of the frame midway so they fold in half for moving. The whole thing would fit in the trunk of a car. I could work up a bit more detailed drawing if you'd like.

folding sides won tbe necessary, I can work with the sketch you gave me, just waiing till next week to make sure its a full size bed.
IM not worried about screw heads showing on the exterior, so I just thought screwing the sides together with some glue, since its not coming home, would be sufficient with a few center supports.glued and screwed.

Mr. McMillans idea seemed to be the easiest way out for me.
Im doing a bit different, but the brackets in corner and disassembled is for sure the way to go for me.
Thanx, but after today, I will never work with particle board again. Im still rinsing my eyes even with my work glasses and my wraparound safety glasses on.
The spray of particle dust was horrible.
I was sweating, so it was sticking to my face and eyes something awful.
Might be easy to paint, but its so heavy I had to have my son lift and move with me on the TS. He wasnt too thrilled either.
94 dollars cost for the parts and wood. Not counting paint, Ill use her leftover wall paint.

Threw couple of beds together myself recently when daughter and kids decided to move in for a bit. 4x4 legs w/ 1x6 sides. M/T head and foot boards to legs, and bed hardware for sides to make for ease of moving. 1x1 glued and screwed to side, head and foot boards with 2 1x2 vertical slats for added support. 3/4" (I think, maybe 5/8) plywood for platforms (mattress only). Platform about 19" above ground to allow for storage, also gives bed more height which daughter loves.
Hi Dan :wave:,
Good ideas and best is that your "little girl" loves it!:thumb:
Shaz :)

Mr. McMillans idea seemed to be the easiest way out for me.
Im doing a bit different, but the brackets in corner and disassembled is for sure the way to go for me.
Thanx, but after today, I will never work with particle board again. Im still rinsing my eyes even with my work glasses and my wraparound safety glasses on.
The spray of particle dust was horrible.
I was sweating, so it was sticking to my face and eyes something awful.
Might be easy to paint, but its so heavy I had to have my son lift and move with me on the TS. He wasnt too thrilled either.
94 dollars cost for the parts and wood. Not counting paint, Ill use her leftover wall paint.
Hi Allen :wave:,
Always nice to hear of your projects. You are doing well and are getting good advice. Learning is not always easy, but it is learning.:D Keep on with your projects.:thumb:
Shaz :)

I'm with Ned. The X shapes add a lot of strength and resistance to lateral (sideways) loads. Rectangles are much weaker than triangles. They could be a bit smaller, though. They come apart in two flat pieces for moving. The frame around them comes apart into four flat pieces after a couple of minutes with a screwdriver. You could even hinge the sides of the frame midway so they fold in half for moving. The whole thing would fit in the trunk of a car. I could work up a bit more detailed drawing if you'd like.

even if it was just a pair of braces that bisect the rectangles one foot to head, the other side to side it will make a big difference.

speaking of which, when I get home, I need to install same on my platform... :rolleyes:

The kid didnt seem sold on the x's idea,. so I went with easy to insert support panels using cleats.
I used different colored screws that she could put one in each cleat, or not, maybe Ill just make a wood dowel to push through all the same size, and I labeled every part, with self explanatory instructions written on them.
Ill give her a set of wrenches for the brackets, (1.5 inch 5/16th hex bolts, washers, nuts), 2 silver screws, and 4 gold screws.

the frame itself will probably hold 1000 lbs without shifting.
Its comes apart in 10 minutes and can be assembled in the same amount of time.
I will paint it whatever color she asks me tomorrow, I already dread that, I believe she wants it red.....ouch.(that will be me in the paint store.waiting to see if theyve had any error made reds, maybe grab it for 10 bucks a can)
Ill even paint the bold heads and washers for her, cause Im a good daddy.
I need to get the exact measurement of the mattress to cut the platform, but thats easy enough. Ill use some poplar 1x3 as a border around platform.
Heres what the base looks like, sorry about the blurred shot.(this is not the platform bed I wanted to make. I was gearing more towards oak ply and trim, with drawers and maybe cabinets on one side, but this is all she wanted)

Once again, I thank all of those that offered some insight.
sometimes I just need a kick start to get the right idea flowing. Im happy to be a member here and appreciate the boards generosity in offering suggestions.

Attachments

• wood stuff 013 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 013 (Medium).jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 17
  • wood stuff 014 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 014 (Medium).jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 13
  • wood stuff 015 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 015 (Medium).jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited: