Sub-Floor - Staples or screws?

If you can get a screw gun then screw it definately. but if you cant, get a nail gun and ring nails. Put down my subfloor 3yrs ago with them and still no squeeks. :)

Now your going to have to tell me why the Makita is better.:thumb:
Me too! :D

Here's the Senco that is at HD for $99. Considering I might use it only once for about 3 hours, why would I want to spend 2 1/2 times as much for the Makita? Worse case, it collects dust in my shop. Best case, I put it on eBay as "almost new" and make enough back to have made the total price less than a rental.:dunno:
http://www.senco.com/con_rem/ViewTool.aspx?toolid=170

Instead of jumping on the "screw" bandwagon like all the other guys, I'll offer another suggestion:

Bungee cords and rare earth magnets!
Hey, I didn't say it would be a good suggestion. :D

And whether you use it on the floor or not, you will LOVE an impact driver. I have a 14.4V Hitachi that's one of my most-used tools.

An impact driver is built to drive screws. It doesn't normally even come with a chuck. It has a tip that accepts a screwdriver tip. The fine homebuilding review that is linked to above has a good explanation of the mechanics of an impact driver, plus a cutaway of one to show how the innards work.

I don't actually know much about hammer drills, other than the fact that they vibrate which makes drilling concrete easier.

Anyone tried these?

balistic_s.jpg

"GREAT PRODUCT! Hitachi Ballistic Fasteners

Now you can drive screws with your nail gun.

Install subfloors, decks and roof tile 5 times faster than collated screw systems

Minimum bend yield strength - 100,000 PSI

Nearly twice the holding power and 3 times the withdrawal force rating of a nailer installed screw shank nail

Screw can be unscrewed from material without damage to the subfloor material"

I haven't used them for subflooring, but I did attach attach a lot of ply to framing for temporay platforming with them, and was impressed with the holding power. They sure speeded up the work.

Gary