drill press question

allen levine

Ive got the technique and how to use the mortiser, Ive been using all sorts of hardwoods and making MT joints for practice, different thickness, different size mortises........Ive had enough practice, Im going to jump in next week when I get back and give building with MT joints a run for the money.
My question.
I attach the mortiser and fence apparatus. Is there anyway to get the fence/table exactly lined up on lets say a 90 degree angle without constant adjustment of the bolts and moving the fence until I get it straight.
Am I missing something easy?
(Id start the mortise and it would be misaligned by the time I got to the other end, maybe off a 32nd, but then its more sanding for me when Im done.
Ive set the fence up each time now using both ends drawn out on the wood so I can see the start and end point. ) Is there an easier way to set it all up?
(the wood is cracked and chipped, but the mortise and tenon is right on.

Attachments

• wood stuff 038 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 038 (Medium).jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 30
  • wood stuff 039 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 039 (Medium).jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 22
  • wood stuff 040 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 040 (Medium).jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 24
Hi Allen,
You've got it. Practice, Practice, Practice. If I'm correct, it looks like you got a delta mortise jig? Same thing I have for my drill press. As far as the alignment, the best way is like you said, just draw the lines to the area you are mortising. I would also clamp a strait feather board on to keep the wood I am working with straight on alignment. The problem isn't so much making the mortise as it is the tenons. How are you making the tenons? Are you using a dado set or do you have a tenoning jig? I do not have a tenoning jig, which means I used my dado set and it takes a lot of patience and adjustments. I very rarely get my tenon right on with the mortise. I am usually off by a few 32nds. Which means I am sanding too. I don't want to pay the $150 for a tenon jig, but I did buy a book on making jigs and it has a way to make your own tenoning jig. Anyways, I am getting off track. What you need is a good way to make the tenons. Either buy a tenon jig or make one. Using a dado set like I have done is not an exact science. I hope this helps you some...

delta mortiser, you are correct.

tenons with dado blades, and I realize for uniformity of identical parts for multiple units Im going to have to figure out some kind of jig or sled to cut the tenons more accurate. I cant adjust every couple of cuts.
I guess Ill have to mark each cut individually and make sure it cuts and makes the holes in same spot, and also same with the tenon making.
But I wont give up, Ill do it till I get it right, time is something I have.
Thanx.