preparing for new turners

Gordon Seto

This is a picture of the hands-on class our Club has with the YMCA campers last evening.
7f95c530.jpg

We gave one on one turning lessons to 10 young campers of age 11 to 17 each week during the summer camp. This is our 2nd year doing this. They each did a dry flower vase (we used to call it weed pot) and a slimline pen or 2 key chains in about 2 hours.
28bd13b0.jpg

They were fresh green wood; easier to cut and the kids enjoy the long ribbons. We had a good time; we learn as much as they did. It would be a bonus of joy if we were paired up with a natural born talent for the evening. We were there to help them; the shape and form are all their own designs. Don't you agree that some pieces were great, especially for the first timers? I have been to at least 10 of such classes. There is no advantage in age or gender. Some pick up the technique within the first minute; once in a while there will be one that you need to hold their hands to guide them most of the time.
Please withhold your opinion on individual piece. Some of the makers may not wish their works commented on publicly. The face of the young camper was also blurred because of privacy. I regret I am not able to post the pictures of some of the smiley young faces. It was priceless.
Thanks to the AAW grant, the foresight of our former President, Larry McCardel & our members ( I am not going to mention the current officers, I don’t want the appearance of kissing butts and I am afraid I am going to miss some names). We have 10 Jet mini VS lathes and each station is equipped with 5 turning tools, a Talon chuck and face shield. We added two additional stations this year. Our Club (BWWT.org) is able to hold workshops for our members and YMCA campers. The average age of AAW members are on the mature side, I think our Club is doing our part to introduce woodturning to the next generation. We were told some parents wanted to make sure the Y camp is still offering the woodturning program before they signed up their kids this year.

Very cool. Gordon. That's a nice variety of "dry flower vases". Without singling any of the pieces out, I'll just say there are a few there that look like they were turned by someone with a good eye for form.

Good on you, and good on your club. :thumb:

Did you warn them about being forever sucked into the vortex?:D

Good job, It is good to get kids doing something other than playing video games. I aslo once assisted a master turner who gave a demonstration at our local high school. It was well recieved and I'm sure it sparked an interest in a different style of woodworking. Incedentaly, I just finished the first of 4 monster hogging scrapers similar in design to the ones this master turner brought to class. I love the tool. I just finished roughing out a 12" dia. walnut bowl 11" deep, end grain mind you, and the tool performed excellently. If I get permission I'll post pictures of the tool. Scrapers are good tools for youngsters to learn turning with because they don't tend to have bad catches. I think because of that they are relativly safe for kids to use.

This is wonderful Gordon. With your guidance these children have been taught important lessons about their ability to use their hands to make beautiful things. While they may have thought they were learning turning, what they did learn was confidence.

Thanks, that is a group effort. I am one of the volunteers. We have a chance to know other members better, instead of just "Hi" at the club meetings. Being able to see the overflow of joy from the young students when they leave with their own master pieces is priceless.

Well done Gordon and your club members to. It would have been very nice for you and the other club members to see the smiles on the kids faces. My grandson is only 2 but is very interested in what granda does so I can't wait to get him in the workshop when he's old enough. Keep up the good work and may the vortex help you :wave::wave: :)

Congratulation to you fine gentlemen (and ladies, if any) for the great job of teaching the youth of today that there is more to life than Computers and TV.
Keep up the good work.