Finishing Help Needed!

Pete Jordan

I turned these two bowls and now would like suggestions on finishing them. I would like to finish them off the lathe and get a shinny finish. The big one was 24" before an inclusion jettisoned through my insulation and is now 15". The smaller one is 11". I have tried Antique Oil finish on another piece but I think I put it on too thick because it is gummy. It could be the humidity also but I am unsure. Thank you for any suggestions!

Attachments

• BB2.jpg
    BB2.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 13
  • BB^.jpg
    BB^.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 6
  • BB4.jpg
    BB4.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 4
  • BBurl.jpg
    BBurl.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 7
Pete,

Antique oil sure gives me a shiny finish. It might be that you'd have to let it dry for quite a while before trying to buff it...if you buff it. Our humidity is extremely low so I can often put a coat on every 12 hours. About 3 coats and then let it dry for a day and then buff it.

I've had good luck using Deft brushing lacquer too. If you use anything to pop the grain, I'd put a coat or 2 of dewaxed shellac before putting the lacquer on. I often will use BLO to pop the grain. Let it dry overnight at least. Then a coat of dewaxed shellac. Let it dry and then lacquer.

You'll probably have to play with it to see what works for you.

Pete, I been told to wait at least a week after oil application to put on laquer. I live in a fairly humid area though so it takes longer here than it does for Ken. I use 0000 steal wool or lightly sand with 600 grit between coats.

After you apply Antique Oil, let it sit for a few minutes then wipe it off. A few coats done this way should give you the glossy look you're after. If you leave it on thick, it'll be gummy.

After you apply Antique Oil, let it sit for a few minutes then wipe it off. A few coats done this way should give you the glossy look you're after. If you leave it on thick, it'll be gummy.

That's the key with any oil, or in this case oil/varnish finish. Flood it on, wait about 15 minutes and wipe off the excess. Give it a few hours then rinse and repeat.

I also agree with using a barrier coat of Shellac before applying lacquer over an oil finish. DAMHIKT :eek:

I've probably experimented as much as anyone with finishes on turnings and I have pretty much settled on a home brew of spar varnish, turpentine and BLO for my go-to finish. It's essentially a "Danish Oil" but I like the smell of the Turpentine. It also buffs out wonderfully.

Pete I would agree with Cody that you need to apply till it won't take anymore then let it sit for 10 minutes or so. Wipe off the excess and I always let mine dry for 24 to 36 hrs. Then I apply again in the same manner. I will do this for 3 coats and after it sits a week or so depending on temp and humidity then buff. Don't try to put lacquer over it or yep it will turn goopy big time. Now Poly will be ok if you let it dry for 2 or 3 days. I have put gloss poly on and had good luck.

Another product I use for bowls that will be used at the table is Arm-R-Seal and Seal-A-Cell. You put the Seal on first again you saturate it and after a 10 minutes or so wipe it down. Let this dry 24 hrs the top with the Arm. I generally use 2 or 3 coats. We have a bowl my wife use for veggies and gravey that has been used a year now. It still looks good but it is not your shiney mirror finish.