The Mire Mansion

update

Well, good news, we passed both electrical and framing inspections. Framing is particularly difficult these days with the new wind code requirements after Katrina and Rita. But we passed, so now I have to clean my concrete floors very well and prepare them to be stained saturday morning. Then it's insulation on monday and sheetrock probably wednesday or thursday depending on when I can get the floors covered so they don't ruin them.

All the exterior doors are now in so I will get some more pics to show you exactly how it stands now. Not much different but the doors do make a difference.

I was there till 2 am this morning working on a small barrel vault ceiling in the hallway that leads to my master bath. The framing gave me some problems but I got it done.

will have updated pics tomorrow

Chris

Chris,

See if this will help the dial-up users view it. I cut it into left and right sections to keep it as large as possible and meet the image guidelines. Nice house.

Mire_Left.jpgMire_Right.jpg

Randy

Thanks Randy. I hadn't thought of doing it that way. :thumb:

Congrats on passing the inspections, Chris. Barrel vault ceiling, huh? That should look cool. Got pics of the framing?

teaser pic

until i can get more pics here is a little something to show for the last few months i've been neglecting this thread.

kitchen3.jpg

not much i know, but you get the idea

chris

here are some more pics. these are not of great quality and don't show off the beauty of the walnut, but i am not sure when i will get more pics so these will have to do for now.

i know many of you will wonder about the color of the island, trust me it will all come together in the end.

added a few pics of the rest of the interior as well....

kitchen from living room

kitchen2.jpg

kitchen from dining

kitchen.jpg

master bath

m. bath1.JPG

master bath tub area

m. bath2.JPG

master bath linen and future makeup area to the right of linen cabinet

m. bath3.JPG

living room from kitchen

living.JPG

dining room from kitchen

dining.JPG

hall to kids rooms and bathroom

hall.JPG

fireplace from kitchen

FP from kitchen.jpg

fireplace from living room

FP from living.JPG

There's a part of me that envies your having the opportunity to take such a large part in building your own home. There's another part speaking to me that says, "What? Are you crazy?"

The projects are all looking good - really like the kitchen.:thumb:

thanks larry and stu

rennie, thanks....trust me, you have no idea. right now i am fighting what seems to be a losing battle on trying to get my wife in before christmas. i don't think it is going to happen.

if i wrote everything in this thread that went wrong or could have been fixed with one easy change of scheduling or something like that, people would stop reading after about 10 min. too bad i am not doing it again, because man i now know what not to do.

it will all be worth it in the end though.

You really have made a lot of progress since your last report :thumb:
Love the cabinetry :D I guess we will have to trust you on the island, if it follows suit with everything else, it has to be nice.

Thanks for the update

tom

thanks tom,
i won't pretend that everyone will like the island, nor will i expect anyone to like it. because to be honest, if we all liked the same things, this world would be very boring and bland. so, if someone doesn't like it, that is fine.

i will say that now that the granite is on, it flows alot better. and once the backsplash is in, well....it should be dynamite!! :D

ps. tom i took no offense to what you said, really just wanted everyone to know they could voice their dislike and it wouldn't bother me. i am the one who has to look at it everyday..:p

chris

There's a part of me that envies your having the opportunity to take such a large part in building your own home. There's another part speaking to me that says, "What? Are you crazy?"

The projects are all looking good - really like the kitchen.:thumb:

Rennie, I was thinking the same thing...but the end result is what I will envy the most...a truely custom house!

Great progress pics Chris! Thanks for taking the time to post them. :thumb:

larry...you a funny guy you know

those are "old st. louis" bricks, supposedly salvaged from old buildings, so i guess they are "green" in a way. it's kinda the rage over here. not sure about other parts of the country.

of course those are the ones my wife wanted, because they cost double. luckily we only did the fireplace.

the two sided fireplace was the wife's idea, because she wanted an exposed brick fireplace and chimney on the outside, but we couldn't make it work with the floorplan. so she thought of this, i like it better, plus it cost me less.

the rest of the floorplan and house is pretty much all my design. with little yes' and no's from her along the way.

thanks jeff, yes you could say custom. i definitely have not seen another house around here with a walnut kitchen. i am sure there are a few. but not in my price point :D

it is nice to be able to walk through the house and not have to say "i wish i would have.." or "i don't like that"

it comes with a price tag though, and it's not one that can be paid with a check

thanks jeff, yes you could say custom. i definitely have not seen another house around here with a walnut kitchen. i am sure there are a few. but not in my price point :D

it is nice to be able to walk through the house and not have to say "i wish i would have.." or "i don't like that"

it comes with a price tag though, and it's not one that can be paid with a check

well said, that one of my pet peve's. is to hear those folk say i am building a new house and they dont even lift a hammer to pound one nail.. you got alot in your house chris and it will show others in time to come the pride you put in to it:thumb::thumb:

thanks tom,
i won't pretend that everyone will like the island, nor will i expect anyone to like it. because to be honest, if we all liked the same things, this world would be very boring and bland. so, if someone doesn't like it, that is fine.

i will say that now that the granite is on, it flows alot better. and once the backsplash is in, well....it should be dynamite!! :D

ps. tom i took no offense to what you said, really just wanted everyone to know they could voice their dislike and it wouldn't bother me. i am the one who has to look at it everyday..:p

chris

Thanks for taking no offence Chris and sorry if you saw some in there because there deffinitly was no offence intended. Again the cabinets are great. Never seen walnut cabinets before and they really look good :thumb::D

Tom

thanks again tom

i didn't see any offense...no worries man....:thumb:

i wish you could see them in person. i will take pictures soon from a woodworkers perspective, my wife just wanted an overview.

Last edited:
Man, that's looking nice, Chris. I've always liked two-sided fireplaces, and also kitchen fireplaces. You got two birds with one stone there. The cabinets also look top-notch, but I've come to expect that from you. Great job. :thumb: