Looking for wood in Central NJ

Daniel Kirk

Hello all,

I've been trying to locate some cabinet grade lumber that would include white and red oak as well as oak plywood. The only place I can seem to find the plywood is Lowes or Home Depot and the quality is horrendous. I'm wondering if anyone lives near or knows of any good lumber yards near central NJ - I'm willing to travel 60-80 miles in any direction if need be (that could include NY, DE and PA).

I've seen some online places that were referred to in the past (ie- Wall Lumber) but with shipping costs on top of the plywood, it seems so expensive. I'm not sure why they're charging upwards of $60 a board. (4x8) I guess prices have risen drastically since I last picked up my tools!

Note: I am looking for rough cut lumber as I have the tools to surface the boards and that tends to keep the prices down! :D

Many thanks to all!

Daniel,

I've been 14 years out of central NJ, but there was a hardwood dealer in Elizabeth I used to go to and he carried all kinds of plywood. Seems to me he was a few blocks east of 1 & 9 just south of North Ave.

There also was one in an industrial park over in Kenilworth, but I think he closed some time ago.

Thanks Rennie for the info! I will call them first thing Monday morning and see if they have the stock. Elizabeth is only a 30 minute drive from where I'm at.

A quick search online gave me this info as well:

Please be advised that Interstate Hardwood Lumber is now part of
Jaeger Lumber
Our Hardwood is stocked in the Belmar location.
800 12 th Ave., Belmar, NJ
and also in the
Madison location. 133 Main St., Madison, NJ.

Thanks again!

BTW, I love the mortise and tenon frame on your website (bottom right). Neat idea and great workmanship! Plenty of mastery with tenons in your other projects I can see. Awesome job!

Thanks Vaughn. I think I remember coming across that site once in the past. The only issue I saw with it seemed to be that it isn't a comprehensive list. I believe that it only lists the lumber yards who submit their names to the site. I could be wrong, but that is a good start nevertheless.

Thanks!

What is Central NJ?

Ther is a large hardwood mill just north and a little east of Trenton. Withing 3-4 mile of 1 highway and east. Can't remember the name right now but think it was a ________ Brothers. I used to stop in when staying in motels up between Trenton and Princton.

Garry

Daniel

Yes Willard Brothers would be the place. They carried a pretty complete line when I was in there about 15 years ago. And there are several large wood places over in Pa. Tioga county in paticular if you are needing a lot of wood.

However a young man at the vendor I was working with ordered material from Steve Wall as he saved enough to make it worth while.
of course he could get truck delivery to the plant which helps. He was building a complete set of oak kitchen cabinets.

Garry