Curly/Fiddleback Cherry natural edge bowl

Nathan Hawkes

I've never seen cherry like this before. I know its around, but I got this for FREE, and had NO idea it would turn out like this. It came from the root burl of a tree that was blown over last year on the farm next door. This piece was totally underground. Being blown over, the entire root burl was uprooted at the same time; it went almost 24" underground at about the same diameter as the trunk. It is a present for my girlfriend; its our 2 year anniversary. The piece was sanded to 400, then 2 liberal coats of minwax antique oil. I'm not buffing this one now; not enough time! Got to have it done by tuesday. It is about 13.5", and 12" on the small diameter, and roughly 8" tall. The foot I'm leaving on; I put a pretty deep recess in, and don't want to lose the lift that the foot gives. I'm not terribly worried about the chuck marks.

I'm not a photographer, and the piece is really much more impressive in person, if I do say so myself! A photo tent is in my near future.

Attachments

• mini-mini-new folder 034.jpg
    mini-mini-new folder 034.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 36
  • mini-mini-new folder 035.jpg
    mini-mini-new folder 035.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 23
  • mini-mini-new folder 036.jpg
    mini-mini-new folder 036.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 19
  • mini-mini-new folder 037.jpg
    mini-mini-new folder 037.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 18
  • mini-mini-new folder 038.jpg
    mini-mini-new folder 038.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 20
  • mini-mini-new folder 039.jpg
    mini-mini-new folder 039.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 20
  • mini-mini-new folder 041.jpg
    mini-mini-new folder 041.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 18
  • mini-mini-new folder 042.jpg
    mini-mini-new folder 042.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 26
  • mini-mini-new folder 043.jpg
    mini-mini-new folder 043.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 22
  • mini-mini-new folder 044.jpg
    mini-mini-new folder 044.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 32
Nathan,

This is a great piece. Looks to have it all. Form, size and of course the figured cherry. Wow is about all I can say. I know I've said it at minimum 4 - 5 times while I looked at the pictures. I'm sure your girlfriend will just love it.