PA shagbark hickory natural edge bowl

Nathan Hawkes

I got this wood from a friend, and it was almost an OOPS!! I got the bottom VERY thin while reverse turning it, so I put a little "patch" of 3/16" cherry veneer on it to stiffen it up a bit. There's a little CA glue squeezeout, but I don't care too much about it. Boy is hickory HARD! This had been dead for a few years, but still standing, so was quite wet still. No exaggeration, hickory takes about 10X the sanding to really get all the marks out. I went the full series--80,100,120,150,180,220,280,320, and 400 on this one. The wood was quite smooth, and almost as shiny before finishing! It takes a really good polish. I used some CA glue to stiffen up the knot inclusion. The orange-red line through the center is not ringshake, but a natural figure. I used a dental pick to get out the beetle holes--their leftovers were pretty hard, and required some pretty coarse scratching to remove. The bowl is about 12.5" dia. and 6" deep, and just over 1/4" thick in most places, (except the bottom.....DOH). It is surprisingly heavy for the thickness. I wish I had a truckload of this wood!

Attachments

• mini-mini-new folder 070.jpg
    mini-mini-new folder 070.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 22
  • mini-mini-new folder 071.jpg
    mini-mini-new folder 071.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 10
  • mini-mini-new folder 072.jpg
    mini-mini-new folder 072.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 12
  • mini-mini-new folder 073.jpg
    mini-mini-new folder 073.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 8
  • mini-mini-new folder 074.jpg
    mini-mini-new folder 074.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 12
  • mini-mini-new folder 075.jpg
    mini-mini-new folder 075.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 7
  • mini-mini-new folder 076.jpg
    mini-mini-new folder 076.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 10
  • mini-mini-new folder 077.jpg
    mini-mini-new folder 077.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 14
  • mini-mini-new folder 078.jpg
    mini-mini-new folder 078.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 21
Nathan,

That is really a nice bowl. I haven't worked with any Shagbark Hickory, yet, but I'll have to try some if I get the chance.

Regards,

Wow, that came out really nice, Nathan. Bummer about the thin bottom, but if this stuff was easy, everybody'd be doing it, huh? Nice save nonetheless.

For the harder bug trails, I've had good luck with a Dremel and a small diamond burr bit. With a light touch, it seems to powder the bug poop easily without carving up the surrounding wood.

Thanks guys. Vaughn, do you have a pic of the dremel bit?? also what speed do you use? I have a box full of little bits like that which I was going to use to fix a chipped mirror by gluing in resin--never got around to it. Anyway, I'd love to know what shape you found to work, b/c I have three more pieces of wood to turn!! I'm leaving soon for vacation, so I wont be able to reply for a week or so. Thanks in advance!

Last edited: