Sooooo, I was fooling around one day last week..............

Mark Rios

...........and I noticed that I was getting quite a collection of scraps of cherry, maple, walnut, purpleheart and cardinal wood. So, I started cutting and ripping and jointing and planing and gluing and ripping and jointing and gluing and planing and clamping and....and....and....this is what I came up with. Exterior border is cherry with a sandwiched maple strip and the interior borders are sandwiched endgrain maple and endgrain cardinal wood.

Board a.jpg

Board b.jpg

board c.jpg

board d.jpg

board e.jpg

Finished board is 12" x 19" by 1 1/4" thick.

Thanks for looking.

If that's what you get when you are fooling around, I wonder what will come out when you do something seriously concentrated:thumb:

I love it! If I had to criticise something is would be the inner structure, being the random disposition so beatiful I wouldn't have put it and left the whole board random without those lines. But of course I'm not you, I like it very much.
Congratulation an that one!!:thumb:

That would drive me crazy trying to lay that out. But you captured it. Well done :thumb:. For me, I really like the interior borders. All of you board makers continually impress me with great designs and this one is way cool for me.

Tom

Great use of "scraps"! It puts me in mind of something Ray and Charles Eames would have done.

I think you've found the perfect use for leftovers.

Wes

Very cool, Mark. :thumb: Each time I look at this board, I'm taken by the fact that there are no apparent (to me anyway) repeats of the pattern. That's hard to do.

I like the inner frames, since they add a sense of order to an otherwise random design. :clap: