What 220vac outlet/plugs do you use?

Just curious what is the favored style of 240vac plug/outlet most shops use. My house puts out about 120vac+ on each leg, so I ususally meter 240vac+.

Im hoping to add either a sub panel or just a couple of 220 breaker into the existing panel so that I can have a few outlets around my shop for my tools.
Thanks!

I just found the following pictures online as an idea of what I'm talking about:
nemachart.jpg

NEMA%20Non-Locking%20Plugs.gif

I ended up using L14-20 twist-lock plugs and outlets for the 220v circuits in my shop. I don't need (or use) the fourth conductor, but I wanted twist-lock plugs, and found these for a good price on eBay.

I also use a twist lock, but I have my outlets on drops from the ceiling. The connection is about 6' off the floor so I can easily unplug the machine when working on it - like changing blades, etc. I've found that the easier you make it to be safe, the safer you will be.

Last edited:
My lathe uses the 6-30R. I wouldn't call it "favorite", it's just what the plug on the machine needs. Before getting this wired, I thought all 220 plugs and outlets were just like what you see the clothes dryer using.
"favorite" plug? Whodda thunk it? ;)

All of mine are Nema 6-20's because nothing needed more amperage than that and they were cheaper than most of the others. A 6-20 will handle up to a 3hp motor. I have found that lots of my friends went overboard on their plugs. Just the other day I saw a honkin' dryer plug on a 3/4hp bandsaw. It works fine - just overkill.

All 6-20R for my 220v. Four machines are 220, but the first one used the 20-amp plug so I standardized all the rest to that. Even though my 5hp tablesaw could rightfully draw 30amps.

The circuit in my shop for 220v is 30 amp-rated.

Thanks for the illustration NEMA codes. Useful stuff to have.

Gary Curtis

None of mine are the same. It all depends on what the machine needs. Some only need 20 amps, while my molder draws close to 40 amps when working hard. So this one is on a 50 amp breaker.

I wired the tablesaw, jointer, planer, resaw bandsaw, mill/drill, CNC and my 220 dust collector all with 6-30R. Most of those don't need 30 amps, but I started with that my first 220 machine and wanted to standardize all the 220 when I wired the shop, so they all got the same flavor. If I had to do it all over again, I would have started and stayed with the L14-20 twist lock like Vaughn did. Not that I have had any trouble with the 6-30R pulling or vibrating out of the socket, but just peace of mind that it's secure and locked in. This is especially important on the CNC because lost power if only for a second could result in hours of ruined work (and probably premium wood) if it happened in the middle of a 3D carve.

6-20's on my 20's. 6-30's on my 30's. One thing I do as my outlets are about 40 inches off the ground and cable that gauge gets heavy; I use right angle plugs to take the strain off the cable.

Attachments

• right-angle-plug.jpg
    right-angle-plug.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 12
Thanks

Thanks to Grant and everyone that contributed. I searched for "220V plug" and this thread popped up. I remember seeing it , but it did not pertain to me at the time. Now I just have to make a decision. At least I have the information to make an informed one. :thumb:

Again thanks!