tool sharpening grinder?

larry merlau

ok i know this has been asked before but my little brain and poor search ethics cant find the link to it threw our search engine... so what is the family opinion on a grinder for gettin the things we need sharp... the mkii and other gadget sharpenerns are not on the list i am looking for the grinder ,the grits and size of wheel is also needed...i just need to get the nicks out and get to a startin point... the stones i have to get it the rest of the way. thanks

I use a belt sander as well, hone, and then buff & strope. I'd probably be sold on a sharpener if I tried one, will be watching this thread. :lurk:

I do have a drill doctor that I like for drill bits

Last edited:
baldor makes the best grinders i`m aware of.......that said my hand tools are sharpened on the 6x48 then a power-strop.

I use a slow speed grinder with a white wheel for my bull nose lathe tool (can't think if its correct name) as I can't get the right turn or angle on the Workshop grinder/sharpener. For my skews and wood chisels and pocket knife, the Workshop with the glass circle and sticky sand paper makes them razor sharp!! Used to use my belt sander that I use to "rough" up the pen tubes. The workshop and slow grinder are my best bets for my tools that need sharpening.

I use my 6" grinder which has a white 120 grit on one end & a 60 grit on the other end to square the end of the plane blade or chisel up & then onto the Worksharp 3000. I want to get the adjustable platform to set the blade on to hold the item at the right angle to get the starting bevel & then onto the Worksharp 3000. I also have water stones up to 8000.