Bridge City Tool Works ~ Turning Tree

Frank Townend

I just came across this from a link on another site. I find the idea intriguing.

resize_TT1.jpg

A short description from the catalog.

The TT-1 Turning Tree works in conjunction with your outside calipers. In the past, you would set your calipers to the diameter you wish to turn by laying them on a ruler and adjust accordingly. This method is full of problems and can cause undersized turnings. Obviously, oversized turnings are easily fixed, but they take additional time. The other problem exists with the calipers themselves. Individual sections can be removed and kept in your apron pocket as quick references until your turning job is completed. All sections nest together, sturdy as a tree, awaiting your calipers.

The site says it is no longer available for sale, but don't you think we could make one for ourselves?

Last edited:
A lot of machine shops have a similar tool for calabrating their calipers, I forget what it's called though. It's a pretty simple concept, and probably much quicker for setting your calipers, depending on the style.

Sorry about that.

I fixed the link.

I see the new forum tools will take some getting used to.

What it is, is a "column" (a stack on a pole) of precision measured disks you can use to set your calipers when turning spindles.

You are right Lee about not needing to repeat a measurement over and over again. This would be good for production work, but then you might use a prototype.

I just thought it was neat.

Interesting idea, but after seeing the price, I suspect the reason it's out of production is because they had a hard time selling them. I'd think selling round disks to turners is about like selling ice to Eskimos. I can see severqal ways a person could make something similar, and it'd still be accurate enough for nearly all woodturning applications.

If you are doing any spindle turning and you can use the vernier calipers.........
vernier_calipers.jpg
........they are easy to set and they are more than accurate enough for wood turning.

If a good set of vernier calipers cost a lot of money, then using the turning tree, and some outside calipers............
calipers_outside.jpg
.........makes a lot of sense.

I'd then assume that this turning tree is an older idea, from back in a time when good accurate vernier calipers cost serious money, and were only used by machinists :dunno:

Stu

Frank,

I can see making one, but not sure I can see paying for one... ;)

A bunch of disks out of 1/2 inch MDF, that sounds like a good idea. Especially if I had one for each inside and outside measurement of my chuck jaws. I hate this sequence:

Just a little more. stop the lathe. nope. a little more. stop the lathe. Nope, geez. More. stop the lathe. Arrrgh! Too much! ;)

Don't ask me how I know... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

I can see making one, but not sure I can see paying for one... ;)

A bunch of disks out of 1/2 inch MDF, that sounds like a good idea. Especially if I had one for each inside and outside measurement of my chuck jaws. I hate this sequence:

Just a little more. stop the lathe. nope. a little more. stop the lathe. Nope, geez. More. stop the lathe. Arrrgh! Too much! ;)

Don't ask me how I know... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

I'm with you Bill (and of course with the others too)

Building templates for repeatable results is the way to go. I think we have two choices:
  1. Write down measurements, set calipers, measure, repeat.
  2. Make prototypes and use them for checking measurements.

I like having well marked prototypes for jaw measurements etc. The Turning Tree is overkill, but the idea makes sense.