Rustic Arbor

john looser

Hi everyone , Here are a few pics of my most recent project .This arbor is made from discarded pine branches that were headed to the fire pit . Luckily i got my hands on them first. :D It is 7 ft square and 13 ft tall . I added a 4 ft set of chimes , weathervane and a pair of hanging baskets.

326753671.jpg

326753669.jpg

326753676.jpg

327685652.jpg

Thank you Vaughn and Allen , i used 5 and 6" galvanized nails for all of the main frame including rafters and then i used 3 1/2" wood screws and 2 1/2" finish nails for the rest . I built it so if i move it goes with me .

Thank you gentlemen for your comments . I have been using pine for about 6 years now and one thing i have noticed is after a year or two the bark will peel of very easy . I have built 2 other arbors . The first one i did was 6 years ago and the second one was 3 years ago .I haven't been able to notice any change in them other then fading of colour . If they do start rotting then i will spray them with a water seal . I am guessing they will last 50 years no problem . If anything the nails will give out first and that is easy to fix.

327707696.jpg

327709008.jpg

Last edited:
Glad to hear that, John. You are in a completely different temperat zone than the Arkansas Ozarks and on south. I believe a structure like would give, maybe, two years service here.

Hi John :wave:,
These Arbors are quite beautiful!. Different but quite lovely. Your photos lend an almost fantasy like setting that we might read about in a book. Great work, thanks for sharing!!!
Shaz :)
Love those Duck hand rails!:eek::thumb: Tell us about them!:huh:

Thank you Al and Robert for the very nice comments . One of the nice things about building these arbors is taking pictures afterwards . I am lucky to get so many different looking pictures of the same view . The sky can change from bright blue to yellow or bright red and it gives the arbors a completely different look . I found 3 goose decoys in a old barn so i added them to the one arbor .:D