Maple Orange Bowl

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I got an Asturo HVLP mini-gun a couple weeks ago, and finally had a chance to try it out this past week. This is a piece of (just barely) ambrosia maple, about 11" x 2 1/2". Finish is three colors of TransTint dye, followed by a seal coat of spray-can dewaxed shellac, then about 8 coats or so of Ultima Spray Lacquer (USL) from Target Finishes. So far, I really like this stuff. USL is water-based, but it has 100% burn-in, so each layer melts nicely into the previous one. I still need to rub it out and buff it, but I need to wait a week or so. Figured I'd post a sneak preview, and if I get decent pics after it's shined up, I'll post those, too.

Bowl 049 - 01 800.jpg Bowl 049 - 04 800.jpg Bowl 049 - 03 800.jpg Bowl 049 - 02 800.jpg

I accidentally labeled the wood as sycamore with the woodburner, and I didn't want to sand it out, so now it says:

- Not -
Sycamore
(It's maple instead)

:D

Comments, critiques, and opinions are all welcome.

Vaughn that is a great looking bowl. Well done. I really like those type bowls. I got to watch a demo by Binh Pho on air brushing. So I bought a airbrush and hopefully I can get some time to try it out also.

Beautiful bowl Vaughn! Love the form! Really like the way the dye comes up to the edge of the lip but doesn't bleed over to the interior. Gives it a very clean look!

Not familiar with air brushing - how much control do you have of the spray?

Vaughn,
Great looking bowl! Do you anticipate any movement in the wood having what I'm assuming are different finishes on the inside and outside of the bowl? I'm still trying to decide how to mark items I make. What are using to mark yours. (Whatever it is I like it)

Regards,

Thanks for the compliments, all.
...Not familiar with air brushing - how much control do you have of the spray?
Steve, I tried an airbrush on one of these a couple months ago, but the spray pattern was small, so it was hard (for me) to get the shading I was looking for. In the hands of someone who knows what they're doing, I'm sure the airbrush would work fine. They do give the user good control. On this one (and the other one I posted today), I used an HVLP spray mini-gun. Here's the one I have: Asturo Mini-Gun

Vaughn,
Great looking bowl! Do you anticipate any movement in the wood having what I'm assuming are different finishes on the inside and outside of the bowl? I'm still trying to decide how to mark items I make. What are using to mark yours...
This one is finished inside and out with lacquer, so I'm not worried about it moving. The outside does have a layer of shellac under the lacquer (and the dye, which really would make no difference), but even if one side was completely unfinished, I wouldn't worry about movement. Just about any piece will grow and shrink a bit with seasonal changes, but I can't imagine it being bad enough to cause a problem unless it was a real big piece with very thick walls.

The marking on the bottom are done with woodburning pens. I have one that has a 1/32" ball point on it that I use for all the writing, and another one with a single nichrome wire bent into my "VM" initials.

Thanks for the compliments, all.

Steve, I tried an airbrush on one of these a couple months ago, but the spray pattern was small, so it was hard (for me) to get the shading I was looking for. In the hands of someone who knows what they're doing, I'm sure the airbrush would work fine. They do give the user good control. On this one (and the other one I posted today), I used an HVLP spray mini-gun. Here's the one I have: Asturo Mini-Gun

This one is finished inside and out with lacquer, so I'm not worried about it moving. The outside does have a layer of shellac under the lacquer (and the dye, which really would make no difference), but even if one side was completely unfinished, I wouldn't worry about movement. Just about any piece will grow and shrink a bit with seasonal changes, but I can't imagine it being bad enough to cause a problem unless it was a real big piece with very thick walls.

The marking on the bottom are done with woodburning pens. I have one that has a 1/32" ball point on it that I use for all the writing, and another one with a single nichrome wire bent into my "VM" initials.

Thanks for the info about the possible movement and your "mark". If you don't mind, what type woodburning pen are you using. I don't have anything for that specific purpose but have played around using my soldering station. :doh::rofl: I'm sure your pen is better suited to the task at hand. Also, where did you get the "VM" and does it fit into the same woodburning handle?

Thanks again,

Thanks for the info about the possible movement and your "mark". If you don't mind, what type woodburning pen are you using. I don't have anything for that specific purpose but have played around using my soldering station. :doh::rofl: I'm sure your pen is better suited to the task at hand. Also, where did you get the "VM" and does it fit into the same woodburning handle?

Thanks again,
Lee, the pens I used on this bowl are made by Razortip. For the VM "branding iron", I used their Binding Post Interchangeable Tip pen and bent the nichrome wire myself. They plug into a Burnmaster power controller. I've also tried the Detail Master pens, and use a few of them sometimes, but I've not been real impressed with them. They are fine when they work, but so far two of them arrived DOA.

Vaughn,
Thanks so much for the helpful info. Are you using the low end of the Burnmaster line or one of the upper tier units. Quite the range of prices from low to high. I'll have to get one. Just a matter of which one.

Lee