a question for you knuckle draggers ....

jim capozzi

hi all ,

ok so i have a #8 bailey that i am in the middle of restoring and ran into a snag ...... the all thread screw that goes into the back of the frog (the one that the adjustment wheel turns on ) is buggered up pretty good. i went and got a small tap and die set thinking i could chase the threads and clean them up . this plan didn't work :doh: are these threads different from ordinary ? ACME thread perhaps ? how can i fix this :dunno: thanks ahead of time for the help

hi all ,

ok so i have a #8 bailey that i am in the middle of restoring and ran into a snag ...... the all thread screw that goes into the back of the frog (the one that the adjustment wheel turns on ) is buggered up pretty good. i went and got a small tap and die set thinking i could chase the threads and clean them up . this plan didn't work :doh: are these threads different from ordinary ? ACME thread perhaps ? how can i fix this :dunno: thanks ahead of time for the help

The threads are more or less unique to Stanley. They seemed to use whatever suited them, without regard to anyone else's standards. You'll find that virtually every other screw - frog, tote, knob, etc. - are also of a Stanley proprietary size, too. Some replacement parts are still available from Stanley. Try calling Lori at 1-800-262-2161, Ext. 55839. She's the 'old plane parts expert there.

If that fails, Highland Hardware used to have a pretty good stock of parts, too.

Other than that, maybe get a parts plane or frog from Ebay, but that's always iffy.

Just to tag onto what Jim said. There were no official standards for screw threads back in Stanley and Baileys days. I used to have a SPS catalog that was printed in the late 40 or early 50's and even then there were some differences in today's screws. Nothing major but enough I couldn't rely on it when I needed more than general info.

ISO standards were not adopted till sometime in the 60's. Thats when we officially all got on the same page.

hi jim ,

thanks for that phone number :thumb: lori was surprised to hear that shes famous :eek: . best of all shes sending me the part at no cost at all :huh: :D:D now that is a surprise in this day and age . thanks again

next time i will make it a more difficult question ! this place is awesome :D

hi jim ,

thanks for that phone number :thumb: lori was surprised to hear that shes famous :eek: . best of all shes sending me the part at no cost at all :huh: :D:D now that is a surprise in this day and age . thanks again

next time i will make it a more difficult question ! this place is awesome :D

Now I'm jealous! Lori always has charged me for any parts I've ordered thru her. :eek:

Glad it worked out so easily - and cheaply - for you!

hi jim ,

thats ok don't be jealous , its only good if i got the right parts :eek: the new adjuster wheel is brass and looks great . unfortunatly the screw that i needed was switched for a part i have never seen on any plane i have ever owned :doh::rofl::rofl:

i am not going to whine about it though , one more quick phone call is all it will take to make things right. thanks again for the info:D