Cyclone - 94dB - building enclosure

Final enclosure pictures.

Here is the whole album link

I painted it all white. I also added a plywood wall on the rear wall to support a new clamp hanging system, yet to be constructed.

The handles are mounted low so it is really easy for me to handle the door. The hanger bolt alignment ended up almost exact so it is real easy to move the door.

IMG_2891.JPG IMG_2892.JPG

The final result is excellent. I eliminated the "roar" of the clyclone which is what I wanted. You really cannot hear it over the machines. The addition of the piping helped that a lot.

I will be posting detailed piping pictures... but have gotten side tracked with the SawStop install.

Nice job. That Bosch driver got me out of some tight spots with my DC and closet install too. That 2" stryo cuts very nicely on the TS BTW. I did mine by hand for a while too but didn't like the raggedy edges so tried the TS.

Final enclosure pictures.

Here is the whole album link

I painted it all white. I also added a plywood wall on the rear wall to support a new clamp hanging system, yet to be constructed.

The handles are mounted low so it is really easy for me to handle the door. The hanger bolt alignment ended up almost exact so it is real easy to move the door.

View attachment 24770 View attachment 24771

The final result is excellent. I eliminated the "roar" of the clyclone which is what I wanted. You really cannot hear it over the machines. The addition of the piping helped that a lot.

I will be posting detailed piping pictures... but have gotten side tracked with the SawStop install.

Bartee I am glad you tackled this task before me. I have a cyclone in my new shop and have set aside a corner to do just what you have done. My question to you is where is your return path. Looks as though you have totally closed it up when you put the hatch in or am I missing something.
Have you taken any new readings with just it on since you closed it in. i would be interested to hear what happened to the 94db. Thanks for the great post and the pictures.

I use the wall cavity in the wall on the right.

On the inside of the enclosure the wall is open at the top. The picture below is before the sheeting was put on the outside of the wall.
IMG_2728.jpg

So the then the sheeting ( 1/2" plywood, because I had some ), was put on the outside of the wall leaving a space at the bottom.
IMG_2792.JPG

so the air goes thru the wall to exhaust. This provides more surfaces for the sound to be absorbed but lets the air exhaust. The duct formed by the wall is about 18" x 2 1/2" This provide plenty of capacity for the air to exhaust.

Also the room is not where near air-tight.

Hope this is clear.

Remember, sound reduction is accomplished in 2 ways. Contain the sound in a n air-tight room and/or provide materials that will absorb the sound. So the MDF and 2" hard foam absorb sound. I tried to control the escaping of air ( sound ) as much as possible, but with my open rafters it was impossible.

I would recommend that you use different materials for the inside and outside walls of the enclosure. Like sheetrock and plywood. Different materials will absorb different frequencies of sound.

I will get the db meter again and check.

Again, I repeat, a LOT of the sound is reduced as you add your piping. I used PVC so it has some density. My initial measurements were without any piping. I think this was somewhat misleading.

But non-the-less I am very satisfied with my enclosure.

I have a big cyclone outside my shop and a baghouse inside for an afterfilter. I recently put a duct silencer on my return air and knocked 15 dB off of the noise. Went from 90 to 75 dB standing right next to the baghouse.

Grizzly's version seems to be very short, so it must only act on higher frequencies (you need at least 1/4 wavelength to absorb it). Maybe that is OK based on their fan? My 5 foot silencer should work above 225 Hz. A 1 ft. silencer would work above 1125 Hz.

Food for thought. . . Maybe line the room with acoustic foam? Rigid insulation will reflect a lot.