My 3rd-ever bowl ... 1st one in 5 years!

Kerry Burton

Back in March, I decided to grab a chunk of wood from that sycamore haul I made last year (see my 2nd-ever post in the [Free wood can sure cost a lot!] thread) and make something with it. I chose a thin-ish piece that I thought would be mostly dry - after most of a year in my Utah basement - and this is what I came up with:

A540_0711_WideShot.jpg

A540_0716_Interior_CloseUp.jpg

A540_0718_Underside.jpg

IIRC, I used some Myland's High Build Friction Polish on it, which I cut back with steel wool and some Town Talk furniture wax. I showed it off at work, at church, etc. and then gave it to my Mom when she and Dad came out for a visit in April. Sigh....

Third bowl ever? You must have been paying attention on the first two, because number 3 sure came out looking good. :thumb:

Very well done. They sycamore sure is some good looking wood. I especially like the way you finished the bottom. The foot really fits the overall form.

Thanks for the kind words, folks. I appreciate the encouragement. :thumb:

Almost thou persuadest me to descend the stairs and make some more stuff! :eek:

Stunning work Kerry! Excellent use of form to show off that outstanding grain. I am also impressed with the foot. You really made the flow from side to foot very nice, and captured the grain like a pro. I'd have a hard time giving that one away, and an equally hard time knowing which side to display.

Very nice and an inspiration to a new turner. :thumb:

Nice work. I've heard sycamore referred to as "American Lacewood". Your piece is a great example of how nice this lace pattern can be. You seem to have cut the blank at just the right angle to show off the grain. Good job!
I've only worked with spalted sycamore. Boy does it move a lot!!!!!!!!! :bang:
I had decided not to work with sycamore again, but this has changed my mind. I still have a lot of roughed out bowls, but I might have to find some that isn't spalted now.

Really nice form, and I like the foot style. Very classic. Keep up the work. You owe it to yourself to turn more than once every 5 years!!