Maple Bowl with Drying Lesson

This bowl was roughed out in the middle of June this year and was turned thinner than 10%. I thought – if it’s thinner it should dry faster! It did but it also warped different than the norm, which I believe was caused by the uneven distribution of heartwood and sapwood. My experience with drying bowls has been that they will warp into an oval pattern. This bowl warped more into a ‘D’ pattern than an oval and I had serious doubts that there was enough wood left to finish turn the blank. There was – but not by very much. Lesson learned for me - I will turn all my stock to at least 10% from now on and be patient. Better to have to wait for a blank to dry than lose the blank all together because I roughed it out too thin for proper drying!

Maple bowl (with some nice curl) 8 ¼” diameter x 3 ¼” high x a shade over ¼” thick at the rim tapering to 3/8” at the base. Four coats of Minwax Wipe-On Gloss Poly and will buff after the finish cures for a week or so.

Maple Lesson V1.JPG Maple Lesson V2.JPG Maple Lesson V3.JPG Maple Lesson V4.JPG

As always your comments, critiques and opinions are encouraged!

Thanks for looking! :wave:

Nice bowl Steve!! You expressed your concerns about the thickness after drying and warping, but 1/4" to 3/8" seems to be more than adequate for normal use? I love the style. I know I've said it before, but I just have a thing for simple and elegant - nicely done!!

cheers

Sorry for any dumb questions, but getting to have more interest in the bowl turning thing. So normally one turns a bowl while the wood is still wet, then finishes the detailing after drying? Do any sealers need to be applied to the roughed bowl?

Thanks,

I think you did a fine salvaging of the bowl, Steve. Later tonight I'll post pics of one I turned recently with a similar problem, but not nearly as nice of outcome.
Sorry for any dumb questions, but getting to have more interest in the bowl turning thing. So normally one turns a bowl while the wood is still wet, then finishes the detailing after drying? Do any sealers need to be applied to the roughed bowl?

Thanks,
Darren, some folks like to seal the roughed bowl (or parts of it) to slow down the drying, with the idea of preventing cracks. Other turners will use other treatments (soaking in denatured alcohol or liquid detergent, microwave oven, boxed with wet wood shaving, etc.) in an effort to minimized the cracking and/or speed up the drying. If you ask ten turners to tell you the best method, you'll likely get at least a dozen answers. I think it's about 50% science, 50% black magic and 50% blind luck. ;) (And 150% good math.) :p