Goblet

John Ryan

This goblet was made for the son of my neighbours who has just made them Grandparents for the first time
goblet 1.jpg goblet 2.jpg

After this picture was taken I engraved the childs name date of birth and also time and weight as a memento for them. Critque and comments welcome :):)

:D ooop's sorry guys memories going along with the hair line :huh: The wood is Pau Amerello and the goblet is 5ins x 2 3/4ins at the top 2inch base.:)

Thanks, never heard of that wood. Do you know if it will keep it's color?
In the picture, it looks a lot like Osage Orange which, unfortunately, turns brown with time and exposure to light.

Isn't it also known as Yellowheart... I've had a couple of boards in the attic of my shop for about 8 months.. it's still bright yellow.

How did you finish the goblet... I'm working on a line for an upcoming show and looking for a good food safe finish.

Isn't it also known as Yellowheart... I've had a couple of boards in the attic of my shop for about 8 months.. it's still bright yellow.

How did you finish the goblet... I'm working on a line for an upcoming show and looking for a good food safe finish.

Chuck I believe it is also called yellowheart after reading about it on the web site. The finish I have on the godlet is 2 coats sanding sealer both cut back with steel wool then 3 coats of a soft wax hand buffed, this is meant to be ornament and not used. I have read somwhere on the web about some one who melts wax and coats the inside of tankards so they can be used for liquid. For a food safe finish I am at the moment using several coats of mineral oil no sanding sealer and hand buffed. Hope this is of some use to you, let us know what you end up using :wave::wave::)

So far I've only made two goblets all wood, one is from Photinia (Red Tip) and the other is from some maple I have that's showing some spalting.. both are for decoration only.. not recommending them as food safe. The Photinia is finished with Carnuba and the maple has a wipe on poly... which I've been told after about 30 days curing may be food safe, but with the spalting, don't think I'll chance calling it food safe.

I've contacted several turners who have goblets on their websites and asked them questions... one said his was trade secret and he couldn't divulge it because "if applied wrong, he could be liable" ( according to his b-i-l, the attorney):dunno:

I have been putting the glass bulbs of wine glasses on wood stems... seems to work well and got good reception at a gallery I recently attended.

Attachments

• 40-541.JPG
    40-541.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 40-551.JPG
    40-551.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 40-543.JPG
    40-543.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 6
I have been putting the glass bulbs of wine glasses on wood stems... seems to work well and got good reception at a gallery I recently attended.

Chuck nice spalted maple the Photinia wood I have not come across yet.

Nice ones with the glass on them.......would really look good with some Califonia red in them:thumb::thumb: How do you glue the glass on? :wave::wave::)

Chuck nice spalted maple the Photinia wood I have not come across yet.

Nice ones with the glass on them.......would really look good with some Califonia red in them:thumb::thumb: How do you glue the glass on? :wave::wave::)

John,
Here in this area of Tennessee we have a nice red called ready for this......... Hiawasse Hussy... would look good in those glasses. :D:D

Photinia is also called Red Tip... it's an ornamental shrub used extensively in and the around the south east USA... I had several at my houses in the Houston area... when we bought this house in East Tennessee, there were 4 growing at the west end of the house to act as a shade from the setting sun. They were taller than the house. But sadly, they've contracted some kind of spore fungus and all are nearly leafless now. The goblet was turned from a piece I cut off two or three years ago when I trimmed them back at little.
In Texas, the trunks of the red tips we had there weren't much over 1 or 2 inches diameter... these are tree size.. up to about 6 or 7 inches and multiple trunks that size. I have to take them down this fall... I'll have lots of wood from them to turn.