My Newest Tool - 2007 Chev Silverado

Rick Doyle

At the request of Glenn, I'm posting a couple of pics of my newest woodworking tool!:D Gotta have something to pick up wood!

This is my new 2007 Chevy Silverado 'Classic' 2500HD 6.6L Duramax diesel. My real plan for this truck is to pull a 5th wheel which I hope to get sometime next year.

silverado_1292.jpg

silverado_1295.jpg

I've only driven it about 500km's so far but it sure is nice - power to burn and a nice smooth, quiet ride.

I highly recommend this truck to all you Ford and Dodge guys!!:rofl:

rick

Nice truck Rick. I hope it serves you well & you have a lot of use out of it & loads of fun.

I sure would like to have the money you deprecated out of that truck when you signed the paper work. It would probably fix up my 12 year old S10 just fine.

What does 30%-33% of the price you paid for the truck amount to.

This is what I saw an economist say is lost at the contract signing.

Just mark this up to my curiosity.

What does 30%-33% of the price you paid for the truck amount to.

This is what I saw an economist say is lost at the contract signing.

Hi Bart,

I know what economists say about buying a new vehicle, but, the funny thing is that when I was looking for a truck I just couldn't find any of these 2005-06 model trucks selling for 30%-33% off the new price!

If I could have found a 2006 Silverado selling for $32,000 instead of $48,000 for a new one, I'm sure I would definitely have considered it - but, I've yet to see a truck that depreciates that much just by signing a contract.

Maybe the next time I buy a new truck(which will be quite a while I'm sure!), I should probably look for an economist to help me out!!:D

Having said that, to me, there is still nothing like a new vehicle - a car or a truck. As I'm planning on keeping this truck for a while, I really don't feel I've lost anything by getting a new one.

rick

Rick

Sweet-looking truck, Jay. :) I grew up as somewhat of a Ford man, but I sure wouldn't kick yours out of the driveway if I happened to find it there. Congrats on the new score. It should get you there for a long time to come.

I think if I were buying a new truck today, I'd likely end up with the new Honda Ridgeline. (Wouldn't work for your purposes of hauling a fifth wheel trailer, though.) A buddy of mine who writes auto reviews for several magazines constantly receives new vehicles from the manufacturers and gets to drive each of them for a couple weeks. (He's always got the latest new car in the driveway.) He said the Honda was hands-down the nicest pickup he'd ever driven.

Again, congrats!

Nice ride Rick! :thumb:

Bart there are lots of good reasons to buy a new truck.

For us, running a business, a new truck, we get all kinds of discounts on insurance, and we get tax credits and such for the depreciation for four years. Here in Japan, we also got 0.5% financing for a 4 year loan zero down, we bought the van in November and made the first payment in January.

If I bought a 2 or 4 year old truck, my insurance rates would be higher, (yep, I'm not kidding) the loan I'd get would have been near 8%, and I'd have to put down at least 10% of the cost, I'd get zero tax write offs and no warranty (we got the extended warranty on the new van, which includes free oil changes for 4 years).

I'll add to that, for us a new van has WAY better safety features, like full ABS, air bags, side air bags etc etc, stuff that even some of the 4 year old vans DON'T have.

So for some of us, it makes really good sense to buy new.

FYI :thumb:

If I could fine a used car that was owned by someone who treated their vehicle as well as I did.... I'd buy it.

But I can't.

With the used cars out there on the lots it just seems like a roll of the dice. Maybe you'll get one which was well treated, maybe you won't.