Another Way to Resize Pics

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Just heard about and checked out this website:

www.shrinkpictures.com

It's a very simple (but slow) website that will resize digital pictures for you online. You browse to the picture on your computer, select what size you want the resized pic to be, then after several seconds your resized picture is displayed. Click the link to Download Now, and you can save the resized picture to your computer. (Rename it with a name you will recognize later.)

The site was started by Admins at some other forum, to solve the continual problems their members were having with picture resizing. It's intentionally very simple for the non-geeks out there. If you have trouble getting your pics resized with other software, you might give this site a try.

I use Picassa 2 (free from Google), which is great. The software is ofr organizing your photographs, with some built in adjustment features, printing out etc... but also allows you to 'export' any selection to any size and quality. I highly recommend it! :thumb:

Thanks Vaughn for that link.

I have two or three ways I can do it on my computer. I have a simple one that might be good for users here. It's a free program called Easy Thumbnails. You can resize a whole folder full of photos at once. I use it a lot. I have to shrink all the photos I do for reports so they will fit in the alloted space. So I love the fact I can do a whole folder full of photos at once.

If you don't mind having more control (and more chances to goof up) for the same price (FREE), check out the Batch Conversion/Rename feature on the File menu in [IrfanView].

It has all of the options from the Resize/Resample and Enhance colors dialogs (plus more) and lets you apply them all to a whole directory tree if you like. Powerful stuff!

Yeah Kerry, IrfanView is my go-to resizer. I really like the batch capabilities and use them a lot. I still do most of my color or contrast manipulation in Photoshop, but IrfanView is great for cropping and resizing.

I mentioned this new (to me) site for the folks who have trouble with the complexity of tools like IrfanView. As Gari mentioned, Picassa is another good one that's easy to use for most folks.