vac filter problem

Frank, I received a oneida dust deputy for christmas last year and I don't think I've had to clean the filter on my shop vac once. Works like a charm. If you prefer to build your own here is a link that might help. http://lumberjocks.com/topics/138

That is an excellent tutorial and explanation. Previously, I had thought those cyclone type covers only collected larger chips. But, they also pre-collect a lot of the dust before it gets to the vac and filter. Now, my problem will be to find a place to put it. Space is a real problem in my shop.

I got this idea from NIKI. He uses "weed control" cloth as a prefilter on his shop vac. You can find this "cloth" in fairly large rolls at Wally world, Big Lots, or the BORG. (note: Big lots usually places this stuff on sale toward the end of summer for 1-2 bucks.) I bought some and have used it two different ways. One, I take the "cloth" and wrap it around my filter and tied it with a string at the top. The other is to double the ground cover weed control cloth and place it over the shop vac drum before I put the vac motor and filter onto the top of it. You have to be a little more careful to keep it around the full circumference, but it works well and keeps the filter much cleaner. Then I occasionally shake out the "prefilter". It is much easier than cleaning a shop vac filter. It is just another cheap option that works for me.

Last edited:
Frank, I received a oneida dust deputy for christmas last year and I don't think I've had to clean the filter on my shop vac once. Works like a charm. If you prefer to build your own here is a link that might help. http://lumberjocks.com/topics/138

Gene, you're a very 'bad' man... thanks, Now I have a whole Other community to go explore! Saw a few familiar faces over there on Lumberjocks.

That separator looks very doable, and should help my little one lung DC out quite a bit.

What you need is a Mini Cyclone on your vacuum Frank, like the one I built..........

>> HERE <<

I just checked, Grizzly does not make one....... yet...... ;)

ClearVue sells a min for your shop vac.......

>> ClearVue Cyclone <<

Mini%20CV06.jpg

They are $120, but I know a little while back they were on sale for $80 :dunno:

You can build one, trust me, I did it :D

The cyclone separator really works great, next to no dust makes it to the filter........ as long as you don't over fill it :doh:

Have you seen the Clear Vue set up for the Ridgid vac (the one that has the removable motor for blowing)?

Ridgid Conversion Lid 027sm.jpg This solves a lot of problems!!! Jim.

The Clear Vue setup for the Ridgid vac looks slick. A bit pricey by the time you include the cyclone and the shop vac, but more compact than having the separator/cyclone on a separate container.

I did get a kick out of the legal disclaimer Ridgid made Clear Vue put on their site. Ah, the joys of our litigious society. :rolleyes:

That cyclone concept is getting around. I brought our Ford Focus to my local garage for some preventative maintenance. I told the guy to not check the air filter as it is a lifetime filter. He looked at me like I had suddenly sprouted a second head. Instead of taking my word for it, he called the service department at the Ford dealership and they confirmed. Still not sure what was going on, he opened the 'filter'. It was/is just a big box that, apparently, swirls the air around and redirects the dust not allowing it to enter the engine intake. Not a confidence builder but it is what it is. He did find water inside and had to unplug the drain.
Did I digress???? :eek:

Just buy the throw away dust bags, they are cheap enough. Then the filter is always clean and vac is at top performance all the time. I use Shop Vac brand bags in my P-C auto start vac that's hooked to a ROS or the Lamello at the workbench. A 3 pack of bags for $13 lasts about 3 years :D

Just buy the throw away dust bags, they are cheap enough. Then the filter is always clean and vac is at top performance all the time. I use Shop Vac brand bags in my P-C auto start vac that's hooked to a ROS or the Lamello at the workbench. A 3 pack of bags for $13 lasts about 3 years :D

Thanks. That sounds simple. I like simple. :D

Bartee, maybe I should do something like that. Problem is space. Perhaps, if I could find some place to put all this 'maybe I'll use it one day' wood, I could find room. To the right of the vacuum and between the shelves and lathe is another stack of 'maybe' wood. Interestingly, I do use a lot of it. Have project that needs doing, rummage around in the pile, find a hunk and say "Voila" this will work. Enneyhow, thanks for this tip.
BTW, I do sweep occasionally. A used shop is a loved shop. ;)

Attachments

• shop mess.jpg
    shop mess.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 23
Here is what I have... It works GREAT.. I have 1 micron in vac. NEVER gets clogged.

IMG_1761.jpg

That may work great but using the dust bag you could hang the 1 hose on the wall & just wrap the vac cord around the top of the vac & store the vac in the corner by the plug in & have more floor space. But sheriff since you now have a Deputy you just have to do a better job of patrolling the shop & there had better not be 1 speck of dust.

Last edited:
Oneida Dust Deputy

I had the same problem with filters clogging in just a few minutes. I bit the bullet and bought an Oneida Dust Deputy. I have emptied the dust deputy canister twice now, and there is no more than 2 cups of stuff in the bottom of my Rigid 16 gallon vac. And the filter looks brand new.

I imagine I could have built one, but, when the DD was on sale, it wasn't worth the time and trouble. And I didn't have to wait a year to use it like is typically the case when I build my own stuff.

Frank, I have the Mini Cyclone and it really does work great.

What I did was to put it on a 5 gal. bucket and then put the vac under the bench out of the way.

The other thing that I did was to take the filter out of the Ridgid vac and wrap some fiberglass screen cloth around center intake. Then I ran the exhaust out the back of my shop, it really works great and it has been running like that for a year now.

Found a couple pics

This mounts to the wall mid-shop. I can reach almost anything.

Attachments

• Vac-cyclone-1.jpg
    Vac-cyclone-1.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Vac-cyclone-2.jpg
    Vac-cyclone-2.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 17
Well like Glenn I found a shot of mine.

You can see the vac under the bench, the hose from the unit goes up to a clear pipe that run along the shot for the saw, sander and a general intake for use to clean the floor and the like.

82955322.zq71m3UC.P7151441.jpg