vac filter problem

Hi Frank

As I understand, you have a space problem.....me too...

I have 2 modified shop-vacs. One, is a simple home-vac and the other one is my baby - R2D2...

Because of the modifications that I made, theoretically, I don't have to open the vacs for filter cleaning, for a year or so but, practically, the "box" gets full and I have to empty it...

As for the home-vac, I'm not sure but, I think that the "black box" is of 10 Gallons or so.

The R2D2, is sitting on a 20 Gallon container, but because of the inlet position, the capacity is less than 20 Gallons.

So here they are, the "Black box" and "R2D2" ...on both of them, I changed the hoses and the inlets to 2" and I got much better airflow...each of them can easily handle the dust from the table saw (but for the TS, I'm using both, one is connected to the blade guard dust port so I get very good dust extraction).

Both are on wheels and that lets me to use very short hose (about 3 feet) that increases the efficiency of the vacs.

niki

DC1.jpg 0009.jpg

Oneida dust deputy

Had the same problem using a Rigid 16 gallon vac. The filters clogged after only a couple of minutes, making the vac useless. I did some research and ended up with the Oneida Dust Deputy. I have used it heavily for 8 months now. The HEPA filter in my vac looks brand new. There is less than a handful of dust in the vac chamber, even though I have emptied the Dust Deputy barrel twice when full. The Dust Deputy is the best money I have spent in my shop in a looong time.

If you order, make sure that you are getting the correct hose adapters for your vac. When it comes to vacs, "one size fits none" seems to be the rule. I had to use duct tape to secure a couple of connections (actually, I used duct tape to build up the male sections to fit female sections, not to actually tape them together. I also bought an extra section of GOOD quality hose at Home Depot so I can leave the vac and dust deputy in one spot and move the hose to where I need it.

I know it is a few bucks, but the DD will last forever, and I long ago forgot about the money.

cheap solution

The best solution is also cheep!! Get a roll of the white insulation(Johns Manville) is the best. Use the unfaced product. 3 1/2 in thick. Cut a piece off that is slightly longer than the length of the filter and carefully separate it in half as you would when fitted around wiring. Wrap it around a clean filter with the second piece covering the seam. Use three large rubber bands so the filter does not collapse . Done this way, you will fill your vacuum before the filter clogs. The filter will be good for a very long time. I cleaned up dry wall dust, and kept the filter for over a year.:wave: Good luck and enjoy the lathe:thumb:

The best solution is also cheep!! Get a roll of the white insulation(Johns Manville) is the best. Use the unfaced product. 3 1/2 in thick. Cut a piece off that is slightly longer than the length of the filter and carefully separate it in half as you would when fitted around wiring. Wrap it around a clean filter with the second piece covering the seam. Use three large rubber bands so the filter does not collapse . Done this way, you will fill your vacuum before the filter clogs. The filter will be good for a very long time. I cleaned up dry wall dust, and kept the filter for over a year.:wave: Good luck and enjoy the lathe:thumb:

Simple. I like simple. Thanks. :thumb: