A small arch top wine cabinet

Very interesting, Shaz...

One thing....are these pics out of sequence? Looks like you cut the MDF middle curve out here...but the next ones show the pieces still connected together, at least in my eyes. It's not till later that you show the piece separated with the wood clamped to the MDF...:dunno:

View attachment 25500

View attachment 25501

Thanks for the update. :thumb:

Last edited:
Very interesting, Shaz...

One thing....are these pics out of sequence? Probably so, but that only adds to the stimulation.:doh::D Looks like you cut the MDF middle curve out here...but the next ones show the pieces still connected together, at least in my eyes. It's not till later that you show the piece separated with the wood clamped to the MDF...:dunno: Thanks for addressing this Greg, I'm sure you are correct. :dunno: My posting was somewhat disorganized, go figure:D:rofl:.

View attachment 25500

View attachment 25501

Thanks for the update. :thumb:

Hi Greg :wave:,
Nice to hear from you during this transitional time. I figured, post the pictures and go from there, like a puzzle!:eek: :huh: :rolleyes: :D :rofl::rofl::rofl:
With the arches cut, front and back the same, They got applied as did the plinth and vertical pieces, fixed on one side, dry fit the other.

apply trim.jpg

apply trim (1).jpg

apply trim (2).jpg

apply trim (3).jpg

apply trim (4).jpg

apply trim (5).jpg

apply trim (6).jpg

apply trim (7).jpg

apply trim (8).jpg

apply trim (9).jpg

thankyou Robert, I was patiently waiting to see how you trim out the archway.(btw, post 82, third picture in the sequence, I have the exact same clamping system)

Last edited:
Looking more and more like a wine cabinet, Shaz. :thumb: Keep talking...we're reading along. :lurk:
Hi Vaughn :wave:,
Hope this finds you well.
Thanks,
Shaz :)

thankyou Robert, I was patiently waiting to see how you trim out the archway.(btw, post 82, third picture in the sequence, I have the exact same clamping system)
Hi Allen :wave:,
Hope to be of some help when I can. Nice having that kind of clamping system just laying around :rolleyes:.:rofl::rofl: You know, whatever works :D.

They wanted a glass rack so here that is.

glass rack (2).jpg

glass rack (3).jpg

glass rack (4).jpg

glass rack (5).jpg

glass rack (6).jpg

glass rack (7).jpg

I have to be honest and say I never expect less from the level of skill I see Robert and others here display.
What makes it for me, is the ingenuity in the design process and the fruition of the project from someones needs, fowarded to the brain, then translated on paper, then brought to life.
I hope one day Ill have some talent and Ill be able to "steal" an idea or two of design from one of the great craftsmen here.

That really is great stuff Robert.

Last edited:
Shaz, you allways impress me with your workmanship :thumb: nice stuff, great mentor :thumb:

Tom
Hi Tom :wave:,
Those are some very special thoughts you share, thank you for your response.

I have to be honest and say I never expect less from the level of skill I see Robert and others here display.
What makes it for me, is the ingenuity in the design process and the fruition of the project from someones needs, fowarded to the brain, then translated on paper, then brought to life. That is the process that intrigues me too!
I hope one day Ill have some talent and Ill be able to "steal" an idea or two of design from one of the great craftsmen here.
You are on your way Allen! It is happening to you. You will see it coming. Congratulations! :thumb:
That really is great stuff Robert.
Thanks Allen :wave:,
Exercise your creative side and draw, think, question and build.
You have help.:)
S :)

The final pictures were given to me after the client had these installed.
Cedar is a soft, colorful wood to work with. They, the clients, have waxed all the pieces I have built for them. :dunno:
Shaz:)

the sloan wine cabinet.jpg

the sloan wine cabinet (1).jpg

...The final pictures were given to me after the client had these installed. Cedar is a soft, colorful wood to work with. They, the clients, have waxed all the pieces I have built for them. :dunno:
The finished product looks great, Shaz. Sounds like you would have gone with another finish. What would have been your preference?

The finished product looks great, Shaz. Sounds like you would have gone with another finish. What would have been your preference?

Big ditto! Looks great.:thumb:
Hi Vaughn and Rennie :wave:,
Nice to see you guys up at the break of day.:rolleyes:
Thanks for the compliment on the piece. My little:dunno: thrown in on the waxing comment is that I have never done it, seen it done nor actually seen results from waxing. John, the client says they just wipe it on and wipe it off. Long ago my smaller personal projects were done in cedar were covered with watco oil.
As of late my finishes seem to be mainly lacquers or polyurethane.

Hey Shaz, that looks really fantastic, I bet the clients were thrilled with it, I know I would be:thumb:

Great work and the thread and documentation are top notch as well, I enjoyed reading along :clap:

Cheers!

Very beautiful Robert,:thumb: I have been talked into remodeling a home and one of the things they want is new kitchen cabinets. Yesterday the client ask if I could install wine glass holders like what you put in your cabinet. What angle do you use to make them or is it just what ever looks pleasing? :huh:This will be my first time money job and I'm a bit nervous! :eek:

hey shaz,, i have been gone fer abit so help me out here a touch.. in your radius part how do you determin what angle to cut your parent pieces before the arch happens.. you ust have a formula or a cheat card that tells yu huh..:dunno:

lets say you want a 43" wide inside dimension of a arch,, how do you determine the length of the pieces and the the angle needed to cut them to, to make it work?

Hey Shaz, that looks really fantastic, I bet the clients were thrilled with it, I know I would be:thumb:
Great work and the thread and documentation are top notch as well, I enjoyed reading along :clap:

Hi Stu :wave:,
Thanks for the kind words, and your for your constant inspiration here at the forum. You are a mainstay and a good one! :thumb:

Cheers!

Very beautiful Robert,:thumb: I have been talked into remodeling a home and one of the things they want is new kitchen cabinets.
Hi Royall :wave:,
You can do this! They are boxes that fit together and have many common parts, or at least they are repetitive parts. Divide and conquer the kitchen! Yesterday the client ask if I could install wine glass holders like what you put in your cabinet. What angle do you use to make them or is it just what ever looks pleasing?
Over the years I have made glass racks for Pasta stores, Mexican restaurants, and nightclubs as well as for individuals.
#1 Ask the client for samples of all the different stem glasses they will hang.

#2 Ask them how many of "each" they intend to hang.

#3 After reviewing the place for the glass rack determine the generic width (space)needed for all stems ( (A) ) and still not too wide or too narrow for any stemware to fall through or eliminate entry.

#4 Measure the largest foot on the stem ware, from the outer edge of the foot to the closest edge of the stem, ( C ) this informs you of the minimum width needed for one side of the hanger bar ( B )
glass rack 001.jpg

glass rack 002.jpg

Hopefully these pictures will serve as a guide. To answer your initial question, about 10-15 degrees is a comfortable angle, but experiment and decide for yourself.:D

:huh:This will be my first time money job and I'm a bit nervous! :eek:

Welcome to the club! :) I'm still nervous about jobs I bid. Don't hesitate to ask questions here before you get into trouble. There are some wise folks here with a multitude of great ideas and help. Plan your building of the kitchen to scale if possible before you start cutting on 2-3" wide sticks (story poles). One stick for the horizontal, one stick for the height and one for the depth on each wall.

hey shaz,, i have been gone fer abit so help me out here a touch.. in your radius part how do you determin what angle to cut your parent pieces before the arch happens.. you ust have a formula or a cheat card that tells yu huh..:dunno:

lets say you want a 43" wide inside dimension of a arch,, how do you determine the length of the pieces and the the angle needed to cut them to, to make it work?
Hi Larry :wave:,
You are a inspiring moderator and I am glad you are here! :thumb:
To answer your question, after creating the pattern that is exactly what I want for my trim piece, I consider how far I want to go with one piece before I think the router or shaper doing the cutting will start chipping out the very end of that piece, due to the increasing severity of the curve.

curve trim.jpg
In this drawing the area in red is the problem area or the determining factor for me as to how wide a piece I will use on a given arch. Considering my pieces whether a 1x4, 1x6, or up to a 1x12, the flow of the grain at the jooint of two pieces is also something to consider. My angle for the "join up cuts" are determined by a line from the circle center out beyond the outside of the circle. I draw my arch and miter angle on the piece to cut then cut my angles first. Next band saw the curves.
Hope this helps, if not it is not your fault, I just haven't expained it so that you can receive it. Let me know and I will try a different approach. The important thing is that you can sucessfully make your own. PM me if you like or maybe someone that understands can more clearly state what I am trying to say.:dunno::D

The wine cabinet turned out great. I love curves and arch top cabinetry. Thank you for sharing the progress photos and information.
Hi Dewayne :wave:,
It is nice of you to share these compliments. You are welcome and thank you.

Thanks Robert for the drawings.:thumb: I've built cabinets for 2 other kitchens (both mine) one was a remodel and the other new construction here in Hawaii. As it is I didn't make a bid for this job. I just told the client come see mine and if you like them it is just time and materials. I'm not slow so I know I won't be taking advantage of him and he's so happy with what has gotten done to other projects on the house he keeps adding more things for me to do. All I ask of him (other than money:D) is communication, if there are any questions he needs to ask before it becomes a big problem.:eek:

Thanks again

Hey Shaz:wave:

That really turned out nicely!!! As if I had any doubt!:rolleyes:

What's next on the agenda? I may have some display cabs for a store in my future. We'll see!