Good bowl gougeless

Paul Downes

I need a good bowl gouge!! I got a couple of Sorby tool sets when I got my lathe and haven't upgraded yet. All the gouges I have are relatively shallow. They have worked fine for pen turning but I get scared every time I touch them to a bowl. Recommendations on what and where to get would be appreciated. I would like something in the 3/4 class and long. I've watched several videos of turning bowls with the gouge and still manage to get catches way too easy.

I have been making my own bowl scraper tools that utilize 1/8 x 1/2 x 4" long cobalt enhanced HSS. ( and other sizes) I am really impressed with how long they hold an edge. After I finish the latest one I'll post a picture or 2.

Paul, I'll HIGHLY recommend Thompson gouges.

http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/

I don't think you'll find a better metal, and the price is very reasonable, especially considering how superior the tools are to HSS. You can either make your own handles, or buy them from several sources. I like the Monster Tool handles (towards the bottom of the page), but I know other guys have been real happy with Dave Peeble's handles, too.

Also, until you get more familiar with using a bowl gouge, I think you'll be happier with a 1/2" or 5/8" gouge. The 3/4" gouge is seriously big.

Hook up with Doug on the gouges, and I promise you won't be disappointed. :thumb:

I happen to have all kinds of suitable wood for handles. The problem will be the decision................hmmmm ......cherry, curly ash, walnut, maple, ironwood, osage, lacewood, bubinga, cocobolo,.........I doh know.....

I will second that.
Bill Grumbine did a 2 day demo for our Club. He did several projects (the size of the bowls were about 15"); all he used was one 5/8" Thompson V bowl gouge, one parting tool and 1 cut from the detail gouge. Except he used the skew when he demoed skew techniques. He said the 3/4" Thompson is too much for beginners; he can stall his new 3 horse power Robust with it. He emphasized that he can do that under control but we shouldn't try that at home. A smaller gouge can get you a finer finish out of the gouge. If that is my only bowl gouge, the biggie won't be my first choice.
If you look at the comparison in this:
http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9745
You will notice the Thompson bowl gouge has more steel under the flute, it is more rigid than bowl gouges of some other brands of the same diameter.

Gee thanks Vaughn, Everything I want is SOLD OUT!!. I guess I will have to call him and put in a Please, Please order. :D
I've got the 5/8" V gouge, and the 1/2" V and U gouges (plus a shallow detail gouge). You'd get a lot of use out of the 1/2 guys until Doug gets the 5/8" (or 3/4") ones back in stock.

I have a cocobolo handle on my Thompson skew...cocobolo makes a great handle. ;)

Last edited:
I happen to have all kinds of suitable wood for handles. The problem will be the decision................hmmmm ......cherry, curly ash, walnut, maple, ironwood, osage, lacewood, bubinga, cocobolo,.........I doh know.....

Here is an idea for you Paul make your handles of the same wood for say gouges & place them in a rack in say a descending size order so you know exactly where each gouge is & make the handles for each style of tool out of a different type of wood & place them in a rack in the same manner.

I have to agree with the rest Paul. The Thompson bowl gouge I have will last at least 3 times longer than any other gouges. I roughed 5 bowls and never went to the grinder.

You'd get a lot of use out of the 1/2 guys until Dung gets the 5/8" (or 3/4") ones back in stock.

DUNG?????? Did DOUG upset you Vaughn?????? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Paul, great hint with the handles!!!! :thumb:

I am no expert (just bought my first bowl gouge a couple of days ago). Went to Woodcraft and the guy suggested for my first bowl gouge it should be the 3/8 Fingernail gouge. Think it is their store brand, a Wood River gouge. Very long handle! It sure does the trick!! I have not sharpened it, but have cut out two centers of what could be briefly described as bowls!!! Oh, $39.99. That is my two cents worth.

O.K. I surrender. I do have a problem stalling out my griz lathe rather easily, so I guess I'll get smaller tools.........This seems rather unmanly. :rofl:

I think I'll try the V and U gouges in 1/2"

I am plotting to get upgraded in the lathe department and am swimming around mustard, Vicmark, and robust machines doing the eyeball thing before biting the hook.

I like some of the features on each. Stainless ways seem like a good idea. I haven't found any product that keeps the rust off the ways other than elbow grease. Between the humidity and green acidic woods, nothing has proven itself to last very long.

Paul, the 1/2 diameter V shape bowl gouge is all you need. This one tool will do everything needed to turn a 10 inch bowl. Don't forget the Oneway Wolverine jig and Vari-grind attached to a Woodcraft 8 inch slow speed grinder.

The first rule is; don't buy a lot of tools.

The 1/2V is enough to slow the biggest lathes down. Your lathe is fine... take smaller cuts.

When you upgrade go big so you'll never need to upgrade again.

Vaughn, generally people use a different word to discribe the same crap.:rofl:

Tool production is slow due to family matters so I'll make a small load of them this time... due in 3 weeks.

Paul, the 1/2 diameter V shape bowl gouge is all you need. This one tool will do everything needed to turn a 10 inch bowl. Don't forget the Oneway Wolverine jig and Vari-grind attached to a Woodcraft 8 inch slow speed grinder.

The first rule is; don't buy a lot of tools.

???? That sounds like a Doug Thompson impersonator. He was pumping 5 times the value of the other stuff than what he was recommending on his own.

The real tool maker should say, "Buy more, save more. Additional gouges shipped free."
:rofl:

Oh... your right Gordon...

"A complete set of tools will instantly make you a world class turner and don't forget to purchase at least two of the most popular sizes"

The truth is a 1/2V will handle a bowl at least 16 inches in diameter... you'll get beat up until the blank is round but after that it's easy. Then when your done turning a bowl sharpen the same gouge like Johannes Michelsen and turn a spindle with your "bowl" gouge including beads and coves. It's all how the tool is presented to the wood Cool!

Last edited:
Oh... your right Gordon...

"A complete set of tools will instantly make you a world class turner and don't forget to purchase at least two of the most popular sizes"

The truth is a 1/2V will handle a bowl at least 16 inches in diameter... you'll get beat up until the blank is round but after that it's easy. Then when your done turning a bowl sharpen the same gouge like Johannes Michelsen and turn a spindle with your "bowl" gouge including beads and coves. It's all how the tool is presented to the wood Cool!

Or you can round it up on a band-saw & save you energy for something besides a beating.:doh::):D:rofl::thumb:

Or you can round it up on a band-saw & save you energy for something besides a beating.:doh::):D:rofl::thumb:
Then again, some pieces don't really lend themselves to the bandsaw...

Myoporum Bowl 1- 02 800.jpg

;)

Gotta admit though, I used several other tools before I got that piece into 1/2" bowl gouge territory.