Good bowl gougeless

Vaughn,
What the heck is that... you don't want to know my first impression. Did you ever get it turned without getting hurt... it looks like a catch waiting to happen. :rofl:

Bart, a bandsaw will solve the problem but I lost to many blades on these large blanks so I gave up.

Vaughn,
What the heck is that... you don't want to know my first impression. Did you ever get it turned without getting hurt... it looks like a catch waiting to happen. :rofl: ...
Doug, it's the root from an overgrown shrub they removed from my office. Here's the story...

Roots to Bowl

I butchered up the bottom on it, but LOML claimed it, so it's hers. Even though it's not for sale, I display it at the shows I do, with a series of six framed pics showing the process. It gets a lot of comments in my booth.

I managed to make it to Woodcraft tonight. I looked at what they had in stock as far as gouges go and didn't get one because while some were labeled 'powder metal' and HHS, and cryogenic, there wasn't enough info to know how durable they might be. I am after all a retired tool and die maker and I do know steel. They had a lot of Robert Sorby tools and a few other brands I know nothing about. Looking at them makes me wonder if the tool manufacturers are just using the right 'catch phrases' to sell stuff. The prices didn't seem to match the wording in some cases. At least they didn't say "made with real steel" :D

I did spend some time today thinking about the whole issue and putting it all into perspective. We drove for an hour and a half to pick blueberries. (filled up the gas tank, $103). Picked 11 buckets of blueberries @ $10 per bucket. ($110) Went swimming in Lake Michigan. ($0.00) Didn't buy soft serve ice cream on the way home because it would have cost $20, but got a bucket at the shopping center on the way back. ($7+ $2.50 for cones) All of this stuff will be eaten/used up in a little while and forgotten. And a gouge or 2 will set me back $100 plus change and I will have it for a number of years and make money with it. :wave::wave::huh: Sounds like a good idea to me, and the wife even saw the logic.:thumb::thumb:

Vaughn,
Now that you posted the link I remember that thread... too cool and nice job. Which brings up another story I need to write about when time allows (happened last weekend).

Gordon, one person bought one whole display at the symposium this year... right now he has more tools then I do!!!

LoL I love these little guys :rofl::thumb::wave::dunno::eek::doh::huh:

Or this one
http://www.aawforum.org/vbforum/showthread.php?t=5108

I read his list of tools, he has just about everything you could imagine. Not counting the lathe, I'd guess about $12,000 worth of accessories.

This guy's a high profile NY lawyer, who realized after three hours at the lathe, that all the best tools in the world don't make a turner.

BTW, he wants to sell the whole lot in one unit for just about what he paid for it new.

I managed to make it to Woodcraft tonight. I looked at what they had in stock as far as gouges go and didn't get one because while some were labeled 'powder metal' and HHS, and cryogenic, there wasn't enough info to know how durable they might be. I am after all a retired tool and die maker and I do know steel. They had a lot of Robert Sorby tools and a few other brands I know nothing about. Looking at them makes me wonder if the tool manufacturers are just using the right 'catch phrases' to sell stuff. The prices didn't seem to match the wording in some cases. At least they didn't say "made with real steel" :D

:

Paul, you are 100% right. It's difficult to decide what to buy because what people see is marketing. I believe most people decide what tool to purchase in a store because of the packaging and the handle. Sorby is number one... hands down the winner.

Catch phrases are a good one...

Powder metal - only discribes how the steel was manufactured which is better than if the metal was poured. The same elements are in the steel.

Cryogenics - this alone doesn't make a super steel to last up to 3X longer. It just makes the steel better... the elements that make up the steel need to be there before cryogenics will do it's job.

The list goes on and on.

Yeah Doug, I have some experience in metallurgy, heat treat and cryogenics. I haven't worked with vanadium steels though. When I have a question I just call my Brother-in-law who is a metallurgist that specializes in heat treat. I found a metal ore one time metal detecting. Couldn't figure out what it was so I passed it on to B-I-L, Leo. I asked him about the sample last year and he said he had to dispose of it because it was probably a uranium or similar metal and radioactive.:eek::eek: I'm glad I didn't carry it around in my pocket.

I'll get an order in in the next few days.