Early Birthday Gloat...

Ned Bulken

Not new at all, but 'new' to me...

snewcanoe.jpg

not the truck, that's my old gmc...

It's the canoe on top. That's a 17' Grumman alumineeeum canoe which is heading home to NY (is home now). It was my grandfather's, but he's 97 and my parents and aunt agreed it should go home with someone who will use it instead of simply gather cobwebs under a cabin in the woods.

SO despite the LOML's complaint about it, initially at least, I now have it in the yard, and will be building a rack to hold it on the back of the shop (outside).

forgot to mention...
I learned to canoe in that old gal, she's taken me on two week-long canoe trips and many evening trips at camp. I'm looking forward to getting her back in shape, a new coat of paint and perhaps a new set of paddles and a rack for the truck. I already dinged up the roof of the shell, but I'd rather not make it any worse. as you can see I had to improvise a bit with the 'router pad' material and some duct tape coming home.

Last edited:
Should be fun Ned.

How are you going to make a "Rack" for the truck?

If it were me, I'd weld one up, like I did for my Dad's truck, it went over the entire "shell" (we called them "Canopys") sort of like a roll bar.

I bet you could buy one used somewhere cheaper than you could make one, and you could use a well built one for carrying lumber as well.

Congrats on the new canoe, what color are you going to paint it? :dunno:

Stu,
I think It'll wind up being a dark green, to honor what it was originally. I might go with Navy Blue, though .And there is a rack available for my shell, I just never saw the need for it until now. And yes it will haul lumber too.

... a new coat of paint and perhaps a new set of paddles

Paddles! Now that is something I've never made. Not yet at least.

what color are you going to paint it?

I vote for Vaughn Purple... :rofl:

Or how about Black with red/oranges flames at the front! Why be boring? :p

Hey, speaking of voting on colours, Stu did you ever paint the Phoenix?

Ned, great score. It's one of those times that the story is almost more important than the item. Glad you rescued the old girl, and hope you make lots more memories with her.

best,
...art