Drawer guides

Al killian

I have just about finished the beds for my brats. The only thing I can not decide on is what to do for guides. Should I get some drawe slides or go with guides of some sort?:dunno: The drawers will be aprox. 7" high(top) and 9" bottom x 18" deep x 28" wide.

That is a pretty wide drawer for that depth. Easy for the kids to overload (or use as a step stool). I'd go with some heavy duty glides and probably stay with 3/4 extensions. I generally prefer full extension but depending on how old the kids are, 3/4 may be safer ;-) JMHO. I could be anticipating more sever use than they will receive.

I generally prefer full extension but depending on how old the kids are, 3/4 may be safer ;-) JMHO. I could be anticipating more sever use than they will receive.

Hi Al :wave:,
The full extension 100# is the only way to go ( unless you decide on the file cabinet drawer slides, 150# I think :D) but as Glenn points out thankfully and so very importantly :thumb: full extensions extended all the way when used as a step, or when more than one are fully extended can easily tip the balance and as did happen in my home years ago the dresser tipped over forward on my tiny daughter. She opened 2 all the way without closing either. They were about 36"x20"x 8". No injury thankfully, just a wake up call... One 3" screw through a cabinet cleat into a stud and the full extensions will be just fine.
Buy good slides, they are worth the extra, besides all the work you put into this project, you deserve fine slides, don't cut corners here! Pick your battles, buy good slides!
Shaz :)
Go get a Doing Business As "Woodworking By Al" and then buy your slides from a supplier. Tell them "you pay tax", so you don't have to use a tax number.:dunno::)

Robert, Which brand of slides do you recommend? Will have pics tonight of the first bed befor it gets a coat of poly.

Hi Al :wave:,
Although when building for others I figure in the cost of these guides, I also use these guides for all my own projects.

Why?

Cause I work too hard at what ever skill level I am at to allow some cheap hardware take away the joy of my hard work by being cheap and weak or misaligned. My time and work deserve good hardware. I usually use Accuride slides or KV, and let me not forget Grant. I have not tried Blum or Grass, dont know if they make slides:dunno:but they do make good hinges, as does Salice.

Example: Recently, about 8 months ago, a man came into my shop. He asked me if I would like to buy some hardware from him. He had some samples, mainly drawer slides, door and drawer pulls.

In the bulk pack the full extension slides(10 pairs) were about $4 each, instead of $9 for the 20" full extension drawer guides I usually used. The thing I liked was they were black. But when I bought my 10 and mounted them on a job at the shop, my helper who has done drawers before, bent the ballbearing retainer for the balbearings when trying to insert a drawer, because it was such very thin metal.

We took those drawer guides off and they will sit in a box until I give them away.
Good luck Al, looking forward to the pics!
Shaz :)

Last edited: